• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retained Grobe Staff

A new piece on WFU sports:

"Although only 46, Clawson has been the boss for 14 years and is one of the most seasoned coaches ever to take on an ACC gig. In fact, of all of the previous 82 hires ACC schools have made while members of the conference, only one delivered a leader with more college head coaching experience than this one. That would be Wake Forest's choice in 1987 of Bill Dooley, who had run the programs at North Carolina and Virginia Tech for 20 total years before coming to Winston-Salem."

Interesting that he is the second most experienced HC to move to any ACC program (if you believe this - I haven't fact checked), and second only to Bill Dooley in terms of HC experience. Bill Dooley was an unusual case, as he seemed to have been lured out of retirement to coach at Wake.

If Clawson stays five years at Wake (his track record so far is five years per stop) and gets an offer he can't refuse from one of the football elite, I think I would be OK, because it would most likely mean Wake has been in the mix for, or won a conference championship and has been to multiple bowl games. By that time he may just bleed old gold and black and stick around for a while longer ala Grobe.

We won over Grobe as a school and fanbase and got him to stay when Arkansas and others came calling.

We can do it again for Claws!:thumbsup:

At least his youngest will be in high school in 5 years and might be unwilling to move. Let's make sure his family likes it here so when the big boys come calling they refuse to go. Good plan?

OC and DC are both recruiting for Wake right now. They'll be back at Bowling Green for the bowl game but they are out recruiting for Wake right now (until Sunday) since the dead period is quickly approaching.

12-16 is the start (some restrictions start on 12/15) of the dead period. Getting in front of current commits and future recruits by then is important so they get a face to a name & voice. Clawson and whoever can then call those recruits once a week or send them letters/info over the dead period. Basically get the initial pitches in for the new staff then maintain contact for the dead month and have a leg up on closing out the recruiting in late January.

Thanks for the info/correction. I was not sure how all that would work. Apparently some think that the ST coach is a legitimate candidate for the head coaching position. If not, I certainly hope he comes to WF.

BTW, I just saw this on twitter:

Jim Young ‏@ACCSports 9m

Clemson pays $1.6 mill more for assts than FSU. By comparison, UNC pays $2.075 mill TOTAL for its assts.Wow.

Have to think that we are not competitive salary wise.

Posted without comment.

Wake Forest: Former Wake Forest Offensive Coordinator Steed Lobotzke will interview with current Head Coach Dave Clawson early next week, a source informed CoachingSearch.com

Posted without comment.

Wake Forest: Former Wake Forest Offensive Coordinator Steed Lobotzke will interview with current Head Coach Dave Clawson early next week, a source informed CoachingSearch.com

915701.gif

An interview for a position coach job is not surprising. I would imagine most of the current staff would get that chance (if they want it). Who gets hired is another story completely.

And I will also say that I don't give a shit if they keep Coach Lobotzke on staff if he isn't designing the offense and/or calling plays.

Posted without comment.

A9QIx6QCcAAMtQ4.jpg:large

Posted without comment.

Of course, he is a great football mind. It would be a privilege to have him on the new staff.

However, a new OC has been hired so I am not sure what he would coach.

If Clawson is the kind of guy that he appears to be, he will give any of Grobe's assistants the courtesy of an interview. Serves multiple purposes. Gives Clawson an opportunity to get some insight about the current players from their position coaches, gives him an opportunity to see if any of the current coaches are better than the ones he could bring from Bowling Green, and gives him a feel for what the Wake Forest football program has been about from the perspective of the coaches. It would be good if he would find a spot for one or two of the position coaches from Grobe's staff to maintain some continuity. I believe Grobe kept one coach from Caldwell's staff when he arrived. Clawson kept one coach at BG when he got there. Let's hope he chooses wisely.

Posted without comment.

For what: water boy, towel boy, spit bucket holder, jock strap collector?????

Posted without comment.

Confirmed. Lobo is interviewing for the Offensive Coordinator position. BG's OC will switch to ST Coordinator and Lobo as Wake's OC if BG's ST Coordinator is hired for the BG Head Coaching job.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Confirmed. Lobo is interviewing for the Offensive Coordinator position. BG's OC will switch to ST Coordinator and Lobo as Wake's OC if BG's ST Coordinator is hired for the BG Head Coaching job.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Says who?

OC and DC are both recruiting for Wake right now. They'll be back at Bowling Green for the bowl game but they are out recruiting for Wake right now (until Sunday) since the dead period is quickly approaching.

12-16 is the start (some restrictions start on 12/15) of the dead period. Getting in front of current commits and future recruits by then is important so they get a face to a name & voice. Clawson and whoever can then call those recruits once a week or send them letters/info over the dead period. Basically get the initial pitches in for the new staff then maintain contact for the dead month and have a leg up on closing out the recruiting in late January.

How can they do that? Aren't they still on the BG payroll?

Back