• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retained Grobe Staff

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Bowling-Green-Coordinators-following-Dave-Clawson-to-Wake-Forest

Dave Clawson pointed to continuity as a reason for his success at past stops, and that will continue on to Wake Forest.

CoachingSearch.com previously reported that Bowling Green defensive coordinator Mike Elko would be joining Clawson’s staff, and offense coordinator Warren Ruggiero will as well, according to WTOL, though nothing has been officially announced.

Clawson recently participated in a fan Q&A, and one asked about the possibility of his coaches following him from Bowling Green.

“I certainly hope so,” Clawson said. “One of the reasons we were successful at Bowling Green, Richmond and Fordham is our offensive and defensive systems never changed. When a player came into the program as a first-year freshman, the terminology they learned never changed over their entire career. All three coordinators I had at Bowling Green, they never left. We were the only school in the MAC that had the same head coach, offensive, defensive and special teams coordinators for five years.

Confirmed. Lobo is interviewing for the Offensive Coordinator position. BG's OC will switch to ST Coordinator and Lobo as Wake's OC if BG's ST Coordinator is hired for the BG Head Coaching job.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Not a chance in hell that Lobo is retained as our OC.

Equipment manager, maybe, but not the OC.

The interview was actually this morning:

0.jpg

Posted without comment.

Wake Forest: Former Wake Forest Offensive Coordinator Steed Lobotzke will interview with current Head Coach Dave Clawson early next week, a source informed CoachingSearch.com

I'm not seeing this on the coaching search website. Do you have a link? All I see is their recent comment that BG OC Warren Ruggiero is coming to Wake.

who was the one coach Grobe kept?

Sorry, misremembered. Grobe only brought eight of nine from Ohio. Brad Lambert was the ninth coach, and I thought he was the holdover, but he came from Georgia, a few weeks after all the Ohio coaches arrived. Brian Knorr staying at Ohio left a spot open on the staff.

Edited to add:

Tom Elrod was who I was really thinking of. He was a grad assistant at Wake (1999 - 2001) when Grobe arrived , spent a year (2002) away at Wofford, and then returned to Wake in the spring of 2003. Two years at Wake before Grobe, one year with Grobe as a Grad Assistant, a year away and then 11 years with Grobe as an assistant coach.

Last edited:
I posted this on a different thread: I just read a tweet by Coach Himey saying "good to be back on the road spending time with future Deacs with Coach Clawson" (Is this old news?)

I posted this on a different thread: I just read a tweet by Coach Himey saying "good to be back on the road spending time with future Deacs with Coach Clawson" (Is this old news?)

Yes, and it's still not known whether or not he's just helping out through the transition since he's still on university payroll or if he's actually been offered a spot with Clawson.

Warren Belin (WF grad) and Taylor Stubblefield have only been coaching at Wake for a year. Jonathon Himebauch and Derrick jackson have only been at Wake for two seasons. The rest, except for Tom Elrod, are Grobe's Ohio University contingent. Elrod or one of the four "youngsters" are the most likely candidates to be retained (if Clawson retains anyone from the outgoing staff.) Also, how many and which ones from the BG staff get better offers than coaching at Wake. When Grobe moved, all his coaches came with him except one who succeeded him as the HC at Ohio.

How bout Coach Claw just hires the best coaches he can get?

How bout Coach Claw just hires the best coaches he can get?

... which is precisely what he said during the press conference. I'll respect the man's word that this will be his priority.

I'll be disappointed that the best we can do is coaches we already had who weren't successful at Wake.

It's possible some of them are superstars who were held back by Grobe... Like Lobo.

It is very hard to judge the capabilities, at least for me, of positional coaches. The success of specific units depends so much on the tactics employed by the HC/OC/DC. Recruiting ability also not easy to judge in many cases.

Back