• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retained Grobe Staff

Quick question guys...

How does this whole thing work? What I'm trying to ask is, do his assistants stay behind at BG for the bowl game and then when that's over....he tries to bring as many with him to Wake while BG works on hiring a new HC or makes one of the coordinators the new HC? It's been so long since I've paid attention to the actual details of a football hire that I cant remember. Seems like it would be hard for one man to sit by himself for 2-3 weeks doing all of the recruiting, talking/keeping current players and trying to do all of the little things a new coach has to do like finding a home, making sure his family gets everything together, the actual "Moving" part, Christmas shopping (laugh if you will....but dude is a family man. It takes time), oh and other things like getting to know the faculty and media and making all of the important connections in an area in which you've never been. Just curious how all of this is supposed to work. Thanks for any input.

Normally I think most of the staff stays behind and coaches the team for their bowl game. BG's bowl game is pretty early, Dec. 26, so that is a good thing since the staff members that come with him here will be able to come earlier. One key here is whether BG tries to hire one of his assistants as their head coach to replace Clawson, if so it could mean the Clawson is having to replace a key staff member right from the get go here.

Derrick Jackson, Taylor Stubblefield, Jonathan Himebauch and Warren B are all welcome -- IMO

These guys are outstanding and if interviewed and retained -- I'm fine.

Elrod deserves a chance, he's an alum. There has to be a place for him, even if in the AD somewhere.

No thanks. Has done nothing to groom a good replacement for Riley. Had 4 years to work with Tanner, and had many chances to help land a stellar QB. Sounds like a nice guy but he should go back to Wofford.

I would like to think that Beliein, Jackson, and Stubblefield would be interviewed. At the spring game I was among the 10's in attendance, and those 3 were by far the most vocal, motivated coaches out there. The Rest of the Staff was napping for their tee time that afternoon.

Edited to add - I forgot Himey.

I think Alphonso Smith would be a great recruiter. That guy is a champion for Wake Forest. I hope Clawson takes a look at him.

Good guys in some cases but we need a fresh start with Clawson's guys.

I don't think Jackson gets nearly enough credit on here for recruiting.

I think Alphonso Smith would be a great recruiter. That guy is a champion for Wake Forest. I hope Clawson takes a look at him.

I think the GAs are the ones most likely to stay.

Clawson will/should be free to pick his staff. Have no problem if one or two from Grobe's staff remains or if Clawson has a completely new staff. Ridiculous to act like retaining an assistant or two would be a bad thing as it might help with retaining certain commits and getting Clawson up to speed with the roster. BTW, still think Elrod could be head coach material someday. Would love to see him climb the coaching ladder (away from WF), and then return in the future. Really do not understand the animosity toward the out-going assistants outside of the OC and DC.

This.

I think everyone is in need of a fresh start. Clean house.

Just like most every coaching transition, some coaches from the former staff will be allowed to interview for positions (depending on who Coach Clawson brings with him). If Clawson decides to keep 1 or more coaches to maintain continuity, great. If not, great.

This will be nothing like Coach [Redacted]'s decision to retain staff.

Exactly. The buck stops with Coach Clawson now. I expect he will try to retain some or most of his current staff, but who knows how that will shake out. He may or may not look at Grobe's assistants after that. It is all up to Coach Clawson. He's done pretty good so far.

Serious question because I'm on the fence with Himebauch. You think the poor O-line play was in spite of being a really good O-line coach?

I like his recruiting style and he has a good eye for development.

Watching Harris and Helms develop this season was one of the bright spots. Taylor Chambers and Ty Hayworth are 2 others he had helped a ton. Himebauch brings intensity and a ton of enthusiasm to the OL.

They were all told on Tuesday of last week to clean out their offices and be out by Thursday. That's a pretty solid sign that none of them will be allowed to stay.

This sort of treatment of assistant coaches is pretty standard when a head coach leaves. The assistants are all on year to year, so they stay at the pleasure of the HC. He goes, they gotta go. This gives the new head guy a free hand to bring in his guys for the staff. That said, it frequently happens that the incoming HC will interview some of the outgoing assistants and possibly keep one or two. One of Clawson's current coordinators may get the head coach job at BG, and possibly keep a few of the current BG assistants at BG. That has happened before. Same if BG hires a coordinator from another school, who doesn't have a "built in" staff to bring with him to BG. Those kinds of scenarios would leave some holes for Clawson to fill on his Wake staff, and keeping one or two current Wake assistants would help in the transition to "introduce" the new staff to the current players. It would also help in maintaining some ties with the current verbal commits so that they actually sign in Feb. Good bad or indifferent, Clawson will need players to replace those at Wake who are graduating or otherwise moving on.

Back