• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Elton John v. Phil Colins?

dmcheatw

Reaction score
ignoring orientation, who is the better artist?

piano man write in for the river of dreams

Both incredible. The correct answer is probably Elton but I actually prefer Phil.

tumblr_lo82kyFIpT1qmi9ggo1_400.jpg

Poll fail.

Elton John.

...sadly...too drunk for the poll. i've done them before but maybe they changed the UI? if a nice mod wanted to make one that'd be cool.

you think i need a presser as an excuse to get hammered? please.

and yeah i'm co-opting that .jpeg for my HD

I'm a Phil man all day but Elton's great.

Phil's a sweetheart and very talented. He's not in Elton John's class as a writer, musician or performer.

I'm going to go with Elton. Madman Across The Water and Yellow Brick Road are just damn near perfect albums. And while I love the early stuff Phil did with Genesis (the Gabriel years up through Duke), those songs were much more collaborative efforts with Gabriel, Rutherford, Hackett, etc.. The solo stuff from Phil and later Genesis stuff really doesn't do much for me. Seems to me that Elton collaborated exclusively with Taupin and Bernie pretty much just wrote the lyrics while Elton wrote the music.

Now if you were to compare Elton's skills on piano versus Phil's skills on drums, I'd give Phil the edge due to his prog years in Genesis.

I'm going to go with Elton. Madman Across The Water and Yellow Brick Road are just damn near perfect albums. And while I love the early stuff Phil did with Genesis (the Gabriel years up through Duke), those songs were much more collaborative efforts with Gabriel, Rutherford, Hackett, etc.. The solo stuff from Phil and later Genesis stuff really doesn't do much for me. Seems to me that Elton collaborated exclusively with Taupin and Bernie pretty much just wrote the lyrics while Elton wrote the music.

Now if you were to compare Elton's skills on piano versus Phil's skills on drums, I'd give Phil the edge due to his prog years in Genesis.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for saving me the time of typing it myself.

Back