• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 128 - CHRISTMAS VACATION

Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOVE carrot cake.
Or maybe I love cream cheese icing.

Is Lululemon getting rich off women by capitalizing on their insecurities? That's what this author seems to think. One of the founders trashed bigger women and the company doesn't cater to them.
Retailers like Lululemon know how to make money: make women feel bad
Retailers reinforce negative body images so people buy clothes. It's terrible, and it won't change until it hurts their bottom line
Was Lululemon boycotted by a furious populace of offended women for bodyshaming them? Not even close. On Thursday, Lululemon revealed that profits jumped 15% and sales rocketed up 20% in just the past three months. In fact, if Lululemon's sales start falling, it won't be because – as the company wants you to believe – it's because of "PR issues", as it delicately calls its founders' sizeism; it's more likely because of more aggressive competition from rivals rather than alienated customers.
The truth is, Lululemon has chanced on one of the enduring principles of retail: there's probably no better way for some brands to keep women as customers than to shame them. Insecurity is a big money-maker. Happy people don't buy things. Unhappy people engage in "retail therapy", and buy clothes, jewelry, electronics or even food that makes them feel as if they have higher status.
It's a simple equation: clothes confer status, and so it helps to make people feel low-status to encourage them to buy more clothes – and to pay more for those garments – all in an effort to restore their sense of themselves and their place in the social order. Self-loathing women are a godsend for lagging holiday sales. Retailers know those are the droids they're looking for.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/13/lululemon-yoga-women-profits-body-image

This picture of Rob Ford is so great. Actually every picture of Rob Ford is great.
Toronto-Mayor-Rob-Ford-008.jpg

Like I said, there's no such thing as a bad picture of him. He's very photogenic.

I ate some awesome carrot cake at the school holiday open house (also some good red velvet and yellow with chocolate icing #preggers)

Score!! My work friend gave me a sweet fresh hop IPA. Hoppy Friday! Old schoolhouse brewery.

25 Days of Christmas is playing a marathon of all three Toy Story movies and I am not getting up from this couch until it's over.

Townie townie townie! Are you going to a bluegrass show downtown Philly tonight?

The bear-knuckle bare-fighter bluegrass brigade. Playing at suttons.

naw i'm watching roadhouse

pain doesn't hurt

Oh, ok. I know one of the guys in the band and was orchestrating my own small-world moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back