• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vitamins a waste of $$

I'm shorting Vitamin Water immediately.

You know, this article just seems to be saying that multivitamins don't have much benefit for already well nourished adults, but what about if your diet doesn't have enough of the essential vitamins/stuff you need already in it? Do they not provide a use for that case?

It's a lot more convenient to take one of these every day as a backup plan than it is to micro manage your diet and worry about eating enough of the right stuff constantly, at least in my opinion. But of course if they can't even do that (provide some nutritional value), then I'll gladly kick that ish to the curb.

You know, this article just seems to be saying that multivitamins don't have much benefit for already well nourished adults, but what about if your diet doesn't have enough of the essential vitamins/stuff you need already in it?

Yeah. The article seems to imply that. I'd like to look at the actual study, but the article's title is misleading if that's the conclusion. Unless you're going out of your way to get pastured protein, organic/local vegetables, etc, etc, you're probably missing out on the quantities of the micronutrients that would have been in your food 50 years ago, even if you are eating healthy well-balanced meals. Those micronutrients aren't available in the same quantity in modern industrially grown food. Again, I'd like to read the study.

Last edited:
one of the issues with vitamins and minerals in multivitamins is they just aren't "bioavailable". You can take vitamins/minerals and all you do is piss them out because your body doesn't absorb them in the form they are in.

one of the issues with vitamins and minerals in multivitamins is they just aren't "bioavailable". You can take vitamins/minerals and all you do is piss them out because your body doesn't absorb them in the form they are in.

Well, there's definitely that. It seems often when we attempt to isolate things from the whole in medicine, it either doesn't work as well or results in side effects. Nature is pretty damn good at providing what we need.

I think the science is still unclear on whether or not we absorb the vitamins from these pills differently than we do from normal food, but either way that's why it's helpful to take the multi-vitamins with a meal if at all possible.

With my crappy diet the vitamins certainly can't do any harm and hopefully does a small amount of good.....:confused:

At the end of the day, they aren't going to hurt you. You'll just piss them out without absorption.

With my crappy diet the vitamins certainly can't do any harm and hopefully does a small amount of good.....:confused:

Even the placebo effect can do small amounts of good. It still is better than nothing.

I take a multivitamin that includes the same ingredients as those Airborne tablets (in addition to the standard stuff) as I work in the courthouse and am exposed to to the germs and junk that thousands of people bring there every day. I rarely get sick, and definitely have less sick time than I did before I started taking the vitamins. (I also noticed that the study didn't cover general immune system issues.)

At the end of the day, they aren't going to hurt you. You'll just piss them out without absorption.

Not all of them. It is possible to overdose on fat-soluble vitamins.

I take a multivitamin that includes the same ingredients as those Airborne tablets (in addition to the standard stuff) as I work in the courthouse and am exposed to to the germs and junk that thousands of people bring there every day. I rarely get sick, and definitely have less sick time than I did before I started taking the vitamins. (I also noticed that the study didn't cover general immune system issues.)

Good point! Come to think of it, I usually get maybe 1 cold a year at most. So maybe they are doing some good .......

Back