• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LongForm's Top Ten Articles of 2013

DistrictDeacon

Reaction score
IMO, Longform is one of the best websites out there. It links to a few longer stories a day.

I've only made it through the first one - it's a doozy - all of the feels.

1. Into the Lonely Quiet - The Barden family after Newtown.

2. The Impossible Refugee Boat Lift to Christmas Island - Along for the ride with a boatload of refugees risking their lives.

3. The Elvis Impersonator, the Karate Instructor, a Fridge Full of Severed Heads, and the Plot 2 Kill the President - A rivalry gone awry.

4. Thanksgiving in Mongolia - Heartbreak at the edge of the earth.

5. The End and Don King - The crumbling of an American icon.

6. Invisible Child - The story of one of New York City’s 22,000 homeless children.

7. Jahar's World - The multiple lives of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

8. 19: The True Story of the Yarnell Fire - How 19 of the 20 Granite Mountain Hotshots lost their lives.

9. The American Cloud - How America’s heartland powers its coastal fantasies.

10. Blood Spore - The murder of magic mushroom pioneer Steven Pollock.

Such a great website. I love longform articles so much.

oof. just read the first one. Probably a poor choice for the office.

i know this article is from 2012, but it's one of the best pieces of longform journalism i've ever read: http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/#/?part=tunnel-creek (Snow Fall - the avalanche at tunnels peak). amazingly done from a digital standpoint too.

The NYTimes has really done some groundbreaking stuff with their digital features - Good to see at least one of the traditional newspapers try to go beyond just publishing their print stories online.

Longreads is a good follow on the twitter

...just spent the last ~3 hours reading Invisible Child.

Damn.

This was the best longread I read all year - Bad Blood - about the poisoning of Russian dissident Alexander Litvinenko back in 2006. One of the best pieces of journalism I have ever read, frankly.

This was another standout from about a year ago, but it recently became free: Do No Harm, about people with Body Integrity Identity Disorder, in which people desperately want to have a healthy limb amputated.

Back