• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

8 hour layover in Dubai

Also be wary of the cab drivers. They will try to fleece you as soon as they realize you're a first time a Western visitor.

Any suggestions to avoid the fleecing? I know absolutely 0 of the customs there at this point, so I have that going for me...

Any suggestions to avoid the fleecing? I know absolutely 0 of the customs there at this point, so I have that going for me...

You shouldn't spend more than 45 Dirhams to go anywhere in the emirate of Dubai (roughly $10-12). If they have a meter make sure they turn it on when you enter the cab, if not then make sure you agree upon a reasonable price like I mentioned and don't fall for any of their BS sob stories. Also, I've had one try to change the price after reaching my destination. I tossed 20 dirhams at him and told him to fuck off. Most people are pretty reasonable, but some of the cab drivers and souq shop keepers will try to take whatever they can out of you.

Basic Arabic phrases can be helpful as well. "Salaam Aleikum, mahaban" (greetings) "shuqran, afwan" (thank you, your welcome), etc. English is fairly prominent, but a little bit of Arabic will be good for limiting the stereotypical American image.

Back