• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

8 hour layover in Dubai

doubledeac

Reaction score
Anything worth venturing out of the airport to do? It'll be 8pm-4am local time so it will feel early since we'll be leaving EST.

Where are you headed?

Dubai is fantastic.

I had an equivalent layover first time I was there. Just had a cab drive me around the city and eventually drop me by the mall.

Walked around a bit there, got some food, drove around some more and back to the airport

Do not make any satirical videos while there or you'll be jailed. Happened to a 25 yo from Michigan the other month.

Make sure to consider your luggage. You will have to get your bags and on many airlines, you can't check the bags back in for the next flight more than 4 hours ahead of time. On trips like that (not Dubai though) I would normally grab a room somewhere for the layover. Allows you to grab a nap and shower too.

So many places. Been to Dubai at least half a dozen times since 2003, and every year they add something new.

Play the Emirates Majlis course. It's sweet.

Ask around for some of that toilet paper with Mohammed's face on it. It's a top seller.

So much has changed since my last visit, but the Burj Khalifa seems to be the top spot to visit. There was a great water park called Wild Wadi right next to the Burj al-Arab in the Jumeriah district. Citizen Center and several other malls has numerous Western shopping venues.

I advise people to not even bother with the gold souq in Dubai anymore, there are so many western tourists in the area, it has gotten incredibly difficult to haggle down to the same cheap prices for gold that you could 6-10 years ago. If your looking for that sort of thing then I would advise the 1 hour cab trip (45 minutes for me going from Jebel Ali) to Abu Dhabi. Also a very modern city, that has not been hit with the same amount Western Tourism. Got a 14 Karat gold Kartush Arabic/English necklace there for a family member that only cost me $45. Same one would have been haggled down to roughly $90-100 in Dubai.

My buddy was a manager at Wild Wadi for a few years. He's moved on to open his own business in Dubai though, so I can't get free tickets to the park anymore.

My buddy was a manager at Wild Wadi for a few years. He's moved on to open his own business in Dubai though, so I can't get free tickets to the park anymore.

First went there in 2004 and saw my first boogey board wave machine. Location was great, as it was right between the Burj Al Arab and the Al Jumeriah. Also thought the concept of the indoor ski resort in the middle of a desert climate to be pretty neat.

Would like to see some of the city - iconic buildings etc - and grab a beer and some dinner

Any of the hotels worth traveling up to get a good view of downtown?

Last edited:
I have a friend who goes there from time to time for extended periods as a "government contractor." He goes to the mall and picks up chicks. Says it's totally different there for obvious reasons. You get a number so you can text them and set up a date that way. They'll come over to his place and have sex, but he has to fuck them in the ass so they can maintain their virginity. Poor guy.

Would like to see some of the city - iconic buildings etc - and grab a beer and some dinner

Any of the hotels worth traveling up to get a good view of downtown?

For a short stay such as yours, I would check out the Burj al Arab, and if time permits, maybe take a trip to the observation room in the Burj al Khalifa.

Also be wary of the cab drivers. They will try to fleece you as soon as they realize you're a first time a Western visitor.

I have a friend who goes there from time to time for extended periods as a "government contractor." He goes to the mall and picks up chicks. Says it's totally different there for obvious reasons. You get a number so you can text them and set up a date that way. They'll come over to his place and have sex, but he has to fuck them in the ass so they can maintain their virginity. Poor guy.

They're prostitutes, and Dubai is full of them as well.

Back