• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shop at Target since Black Friday? Check your credit card statements

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/18/...black-friday-millions-of-credit-cards-at-risk

According to Krebs on Security, the US retail giant is investigating a major breach that could potentially involve "millions" of customer credit and debit card records. The sophisticated hack reportedly took place over several weeks — starting on Black Friday and possibly extending all the way through December 15th — and is said to involve "nearly all" Target stores in the United States.

oh. crap.

I'm sure I will now get yet another replacement credit card and have to yet again reset all my online bill pay and shopping settings. 3d time this year.

oh. crap.

I'm sure I will now get yet another replacement credit card and have to yet again reset all my online bill pay and shopping settings. 3d time this year.

That's the worst. I always remember 99% of the places that need to chance it and then always forget one.

ETA- Statement looks fine, hopefully I'm good.

Yup, we were nabbed too. Nailed both our AmEx and BOA Visa.

Also, the responses from the two were night and day. AmEx is so legit.

How did you know? AmEx contacted you?

I've checked our statements and we have no weird activity. So not sure if I should assume we're in the clear or what. It would've been our AmEx that got got.

AmEx is the absolute best. They're awesome to have on your side and well worth the price you pay.

Email from Bank of America asking to verify certain transactions. Went to look and saw that $500+ was spent somewhere (it may even have been at a Target - can't remember). Checked boxes for transactions that weren't our purchases and they took them off. They left a box for us to put our phone # to confirm everything, but never got a call. Received new cards in like 7-10 days.

AmEx sent a similar email, asked for a phone #, I put it in, and got a call within 30 seconds. Went through purchases (something like $400 at some weird clothing store) and they took them off. They overnighted a new card.

Both were effective, but AmEx was just a much better process and got the new card 24 hours later.

As 923 said, the biggest pain is updating auto bill pay and online shopping preferences.

my statements look clean, but if BofA thinks the number was exposed they'll send me a new card. le sigh.

My experience with the chase sapphire preferred had been like wake20s Amex card. There's an annual fee, but between airline savings and the immediate customer service it is well worth the price.

I don't think I've done any shopping at target in a while but I guess I'd better check again.

How did you know? AmEx contacted you?

I've checked our statements and we have no weird activity. So not sure if I should assume we're in the clear or what. It would've been our AmEx that got got.

This is where I am too (also would be my AmEx). No weird activity thus far, but just kind of sitting and waiting for the shoe to drop.

I have a Target RedCard credit card, so I assume I'm cool unless some bro wants to shop at my local Target.

We took over a couple of e-commerce sites and a warehouse at the beginning of October.

Nobody here had much experience with credit card fraud. Not sure what the game was, but the number of fraudulent transactions (and attempted transactions) on our lowest priced items was mind boggling.

I'm assuming the scammers had access to 1000's of CC #s and billing addresses (from a hack like this) and used a site like ours to mass-test cards to see if they were still active before using them for bigger transactions.

We've enacted some better safeguards against it now... but that was not a fun 1-2 month time frame dealing with all that noise.

I'm hoarding gold, silver and guns. This shit is going to blow up and the apocalypse will be upon us!

Back