• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Need church recommendation for Christmas Eve Service

Really? So much drama. Not much has changed I guess.

If they're smart, they'll ask Fred Horton to come and fill in for the evening.

Horton is the man. He was my adviser at Wake, and the leader of my discernment committee for ordination. But yea, drama. I guess some places just have it in the DNA.

We went to a wedding at St Paul's in October - beautiful church! Heard a little about the drama when they had a pastor change a month-ish before the wedding.

Horton is the man. He was my adviser at Wake, and the leader of my discernment committee for ordination. But yea, drama. I guess some places just have it in the DNA.

Yeah, he's awesome. He's my sister's godfather and an old family friend.

We went to a wedding at St Paul's in October - beautiful church! Heard a little about the drama when they had a pastor change a month-ish before the wedding.

You were right across from Chupe's childhood home! Now a drug and alcohol abuse counseling center!

I have been going to Xmas Eve service at First Baptist Church in Greensboro since the beginning of time. And I am not even religious, but it is a good service.

New pastor there is the son of my pastor here in RIC.

And Lutherans. Their Christmas Eve services are quite special. There are only about 4 Lutheran churches in Winston so your best bet is to look for an episcopalian church Christmas Eve service.

Lutheran churches, especially ELCA Lutheran churches, are pretty scarce in Winston. There are actually five that : Epiphany Lutheran is on Silas Creek Parkway, just a few miles from Wake. This church had been serving as the Lutheran contact church for Wake students. Augsburg is downtown on 5th street, near Broad Street. Christ is downtown, on S. Main street, south of I-40. Nazareth is in Rural Hall and Shiloh is out near Lewisville.

thanks for all the info - I'm leaning towards Fries, but my wife wants to go to Knollwood. we shall see...

Lutheran churches, especially ELCA Lutheran churches, are pretty scarce in Winston. There are actually five that : Epiphany Lutheran is on Silas Creek Parkway, just a few miles from Wake. This church had been serving as the Lutheran contact church for Wake students. Augsburg is downtown on 5th street, near Broad Street. Christ is downtown, on S. Main street, south of I-40. Nazareth is in Rural Hall and Shiloh is out near Lewisville.

Isn't the ELCA in full communion with the Moravian Church? Lovefeast might be a good opportunity to share the love.

thanks for all the info - I'm leaning towards Fries, but my wife wants to go to Knollwood. we shall see...

You will not regret it if you go to Fries Moravian. Best Christmas Eve service in W-S.

Isn't the ELCA in full communion with the Moravian Church? Lovefeast might be a good opportunity to share the love.

Don't quote me on it but I don't think the ELCA is. I know it is with Methodist and episcopalian but for some reason I don't think we are with Moravian.

There was actually some push back in 2009 when the ELCA extended full communion and preaching with the Methodist churches. That was just one part of the reason (major one was gays) that many churches pulled out of the ELCA and either went to the Missouri synod or the new Lutheran synod (can't remember what they are called at the moment).

Don't quote me on it but I don't think the ELCA is. I know it is with Methodist and episcopalian but for some reason I don't think we are with Moravian.

There was actually some push back in 2009 when the ELCA extended full communion and preaching with the Methodist churches. That was just one part of the reason (major one was gays) that many churches pulled out of the ELCA and either went to the Missouri synod or the new Lutheran synod (can't remember what they are called at the moment).

The Moravian Church and the ELCA have been in full communion since 1998. It hasn't had much of an impact in NC but in other parts of the country (Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc.) it has.

The Moravian Church and the ELCA have been in full communion since 1998. It hasn't had much of an impact in NC but in other parts of the country (Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc.) it has.

That would have been 99 based off of when the synod conventions are. That explains why I don't remember them giving them full communion. That was the year they brought in the Presbyterians and united church of Christ. But more importantly that was one of the first year that homosexual pastors was a topic.

That would have been 99 based off of when the synod conventions are. That explains why I don't remember them giving them full communion. That was the year they brought in the Presbyterians and united church of Christ. But more importantly that was one of the first year that homosexual pastors was a topic.

The Moravian Church approved the full communion agreement in 1998, I thought that the ELCA had already approved it, but I don't really remember.

Back