• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Need church recommendation for Christmas Eve Service

fuheel

Reaction score
The wifey and I (with a 2 year old) need a recommendation for a church in Winston for a Christmas Eve Service. We live in Greensboro, but will be spending it with our in-laws. In the past, we have gone to Calvary, but it doesn't look like they have anything this year.

Open to anything so long as it would be appropriate for kids

Episcopalians know how to rock a Christmas Eve. I'd check for children's services or pageants so you can get the kid to bed at a decent hour. Try St. Anne's. And when you're in Greensboro, come visit me at St. Francis on Lawndale.

sent from my Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

I have been going to Xmas Eve service at First Baptist Church in Greensboro since the beginning of time. And I am not even religious, but it is a good service.

Lovefeast at one of the Moravian churches, most have them throughout the day, and the ones in the morning/afternoon are usually kid friendly.

Lovefeast at one of the Moravian churches, most have them throughout the day, and the ones in the morning/afternoon are usually kid friendly.

New Phila. Moravian, Country Club Road, 8 p.m. Christmas Eve. But get there early. Home Church is probably even a more beautiful service, but I don't know the schedule for that one.

Fries Memorial Moravian Church has the best Christmas Eve Lovefeast service in W-S. It is on N. Hawthorne Rd next to Reynolds High. They have services at 4:00 and 6:30. Not only are the services beautiful but the church has a lot of Wake fans that attend.

When I was growing up and going/singing there, St. Paul's had the best music, if that's your thing. They had an earlier kid's service and an 11pm one. It's a little more traditional than St. Anne's would be, though I have a soft spot for St. Anne's, having gone there as a super young kid and going to pre-school there. But yes, Episcopalians rock the best Xmas eve.

When I was growing up and going/singing there, St. Paul's had the best music, if that's your thing. They had an earlier kid's service and an 11pm one. It's a little more traditional than St. Anne's would be, though I have a soft spot for St. Anne's, having gone there as a super young kid and going to pre-school there. But yes, Episcopalians rock the best Xmas eve.

And Lutherans. Their Christmas Eve services are quite special. There are only about 4 Lutheran churches in Winston so your best bet is to look for an episcopalian church Christmas Eve service.

Westover in Greensboro has a couple of Christmas Eve service, so you could hit the earlier one.

St. Paul's has some serious shit going down right now, not sure who will be preaching, but won't be one of the usual suspects. Though I'm sure the music will still be good and it's a beautiful space.

St. Paul's has some serious shit going down right now, not sure who will be preaching, but won't be one of the usual suspects. Though I'm sure the music will still be good and it's a beautiful space.

Really? So much drama. Not much has changed I guess.

If they're smart, they'll ask Fred Horton to come and fill in for the evening.

Our Reverend doesn't use such language.

The wifey and I (with a 2 year old) need a recommendation for a church in Winston for a Christmas Eve Service. We live in Greensboro, but will be spending it with our in-laws. In the past, we have gone to Calvary, but it doesn't look like they have anything this year.

Open to anything so long as it would be appropriate for kids

You should try my childhood church, Knollwood Baptist. They always have a great Christmas Eve service. Pretty standard, with awesome caroling and candle lighting at the end. Its also located pretty centrally in Winston.

Noob questions: what exactly is a Lovefeast? Is it formal? How long is the service? Is it cool for kids? As a no longer practicing Catholic, would I be welcome? Would I feel out of place?

I'd really like to start doing some sort of service for Christmas since having kids, but I'm not sure what would be best.

Noob questions: what exactly is a Lovefeast? Is it formal? How long is the service? Is it cool for kids? As a no longer practicing Catholic, would I be welcome? Would I feel out of place?

I'd really like to start doing some sort of service for Christmas since having kids, but I'm not sure what would be best.

A Lovefeast is a Moravian tradition in which a simple meal (usually a Moravian bun and coffee) is served during the service. It is a reminder of how the earliest Christians would gather and share the fellowship of coming together to eat. At Christmas, carols are sung while the lovefeast is served and the service concludes with each person receiving a candle to share the light of Christ with the world.

They are usually about an hour and are very kid friendly. There is no long sermon, lots of action and things to see. You would definitely be welcomed. The Moravian Church started as a religion for those who felt out of place in other denominations.

Come check out the lovefeast at Fries Memorial Moravian. They are at 4:00 and 6:30 on Christmas Eve. The church is on Hawthorne Rd. next to Reynolds High.

You should try my childhood church, Knollwood Baptist. They always have a great Christmas Eve service. Pretty standard, with awesome caroling and candle lighting at the end. Its also located pretty centrally in Winston.
5 PM Family service. Designed for children of all ages. A good choice!

Holy Triniy's (Greensboro) Children service is awesome!!
Episcopalians know how to rock a Christmas Eve. I'd check for children's services or pageants so you can get the kid to bed at a decent hour. Try St. Anne's. And when you're in Greensboro, come visit me at St. Francis on Lawndale.

sent from my Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Back