• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lectro was RIGHT--post1626--(climate related)

Was the 12 years thing that we had 12 years before the impact of climate change was irreversible?

It was the lower bound of a perdition interval for the point of no return. Meaning we have as few as twelve years to end and reverse our carbon addiction before the negative impacts of climate change become inevitable. The prediction interval was something like 12-50 and the median was somewhere around 30 years. Some science writers and then politicians hyperbolized the prediction into “the world will end in 12 years.” This kind of thing is one reason why scientists should get more directly involved in policy processes.

Yeah. It becomes a big game of telephone. First our greatest people, the scientists, do the work then our worst people, journalists and politicians, misinterpret it.

Who made the 2020 signs?

NPS interpreters...no climate scientists went out and made signs and posted around the park. Those Glaciers will be gone soon enough, but congrats to you and all the climate change denialists for this huge PR win.

The climate change debate is over. 2019 was cooler than 2018 and some park rangers put out some signs that over estimated the meting rate of some glaciers. It was a thoughtful and well reasoned debate based on scientific analysis and societal values while it lasted, but the case is closed now.

I've read a number of articles which discuss how the Murdoch-owned press in Australia, in league with the conservative Australian PM and coal lobby and other members of the Australian Right, are working hard to convince Australians that it was urban environmentalists, and not climate change, that is the main cause and blame for the epic bushfires. Supposedly the environmentalists opposed controlled burning and other similar tactics that these groups claim would have prevented things from getting so bad. Also, arsonists are to blame as well. No doubt arsonists have started some of the fires, and I suppose one could argue about forest management techniques, but ignoring the role of record-high temperatures and growing droughts (and less reliable rainfall seasons) in Australia really takes some chutzpah. As with the American Right, it seems that the go-to tactic of Australian conservatives in any bad situation is to blame the libs and dumb city folk.

Last edited:
Them Aussies need to talk to them Finns 'bout forest management.

skynews-rake-rakenews-finland_4494199.jpg

I went and saw Katherine Hayhoe speak last night. Great and very convincing presentation targeted at audiences that question climate science and try to undermine it's veracity. She did a survey at the beginning though and 98% of the audience were already on board before she started. Preaching to the choir I guess, but hopefully people are now better equipped to challenge deniers out side the lecture hall.

Back