• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lectro was RIGHT--post1626--(climate related)

Dorian is insane.

Al Gore was right with “An Inconvenient Truth”...we are getting walloped by stronger and stronger hurricanes each and every year.

Dorian is insane.

Al Gore was right with “An Inconvenient Truth”...we are getting walloped by stronger and stronger hurricanes each and every year.

I guess if you don’t consider that whole decade long stretch we went though without a single hurricane hitting the mainland US.

We includes more than the US.

35 Cat 5 hurricanes have made landfall since 1924. 13 have been in the last 17 years.

Yeah whether the hurricane hits the US or not is not the point. The point is that there has been a significant increase in historically powerful storms in the past 10-20 years. Dorian has winds from 180-200+ mph. What was the hurricane that dropped like 50+ inches of rain in Texas a year or two ago? We’re having multiple “1 in 100 year” types of storms almost every year now.

But hey what the fuck do I know. Since we can’t say global warming is causing more powerful and destructive weather with 100% certainty...we should just sit back and take it. That should be the mantra of the today’s Trumpist GOP. Let’s ignore what 95% of the data tell us (about weather, guns, taxes, etc) since there’s a 5% chance the experts are wrong.

Yeah whether the hurricane hits the US or not is not the point. The point is that there has been a significant increase in historically powerful storms in the past 10-20 years. Dorian has winds from 180-200+ mph. What was the hurricane that dropped like 50+ inches of rain in Texas a year or two ago? We’re having multiple “1 in 100 year” types of storms almost every year now.

But hey what the fuck do I know. Since we can’t say global warming is causing more powerful and destructive weather with 100% certainty...we should just sit back and take it. That should be the mantra of the today’s Trumpist GOP. Let’s ignore what 95% of the data tell us (about weather, guns, taxes, etc) since there’s a 5% chance the experts are wrong.

You're right, but unfortunately, it's not just Americans who ignore global warming to their own peril. Australia has arguably been hit harder by global warming than almost any other country, and just a few months ago they faced a choice between re-electing a conservative government that ignores global warming, and a Labor Party that made fighting global warming one of their top priorities. The incumbent PM stoked fears among many Australians that the Labor proposals to combat global warming would cost jobs in mining and other industries, lead to higher taxes, and would damage Australia's economy. Guess which party won the election? If you've got visible evidence in front of you that your climate and weather are changing, and you still refuse to believe it, I don't know what more can be done to convince people.

Staying the weekend with in-laws and global warming right wing podcast listening nutjobs. Had a good 10 minute convo with them without it devolving into me getting condescending.

Their main point at this point seems to be that there’s no reversing the damage that has been done, so why spend all the money when it won’t make that much of a difference

Let me guess. They weren’t for spending the money when it would have made a difference.

You're right, but unfortunately, it's not just Americans who ignore global warming to their own peril. Australia has arguably been hit harder by global warming than almost any other country, and just a few months ago they faced a choice between re-electing a conservative government that ignores global warming, and a Labor Party that made fighting global warming one of their top priorities. The incumbent PM stoked fears among many Australians that the Labor proposals to combat global warming would cost jobs in mining and other industries, lead to higher taxes, and would damage Australia's economy. Guess which party won the election? If you've got visible evidence in front of you that your climate and weather are changing, and you still refuse to believe it, I don't know what more can be done to convince people.

This is an extreme simplification of this election. Climate change actually won as an issue, as seen by a bunch of Labor gains in various seats (and an Independent beating Tony Abbott), but there were also policies trotted out by Labor on franking and inheritance taxes that played into Liberal's hands. The bigger swings were in Queensland, where Liberal convinced people that the Adani Mine would bring jobs (it won't, it's unlikely to ever be operational) and that Bill Shorten was too cosmopolitan for them (he was).

You are right that it wasn't high enough of a priority for some people, particularly Queenslanders - but remember that Queensland also has one of the most climate-friendly state governments in the country, led by Labor. It's just much more complex than voting for/against climate action.

Staying the weekend with in-laws and global warming right wing podcast listening nutjobs. Had a good 10 minute convo with them without it devolving into me getting condescending.

Their main point at this point seems to be that there’s no reversing the damage that has been done, so why spend all the money when it won’t make that much of a difference

Point this out to them - the difference between 1.5ºC and 2ºC of global average temp. rise.

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/9/17951924/climate-change-global-warming-un-ipcc-report-takeaways

This is an extreme simplification of this election. Climate change actually won as an issue, as seen by a bunch of Labor gains in various seats (and an Independent beating Tony Abbott), but there were also policies trotted out by Labor on franking and inheritance taxes that played into Liberal's hands. The bigger swings were in Queensland, where Liberal convinced people that the Adani Mine would bring jobs (it won't, it's unlikely to ever be operational) and that Bill Shorten was too cosmopolitan for them (he was).

You are right that it wasn't high enough of a priority for some people, particularly Queenslanders - but remember that Queensland also has one of the most climate-friendly state governments in the country, led by Labor. It's just much more complex than voting for/against climate action.

I didn't say it was the only issue, but as you said, it certainly played a role.

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/19/world/australia/election-climate-change.html

Last edited:
Vox while entertaining is not a credible news source.

LOL. They’re not a “news source.” Vox provides analysis. In this case, they’re analyzing the UN climate report. So take issue with the climate report.

Last edited:
LOL. They’re not a “news source.” Vox provides analysis. In this case, they’re analyzing the UN climate report. So take issue with the climate report.

Sorry I should have left it at vox isn’t credible.

Back