• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lectro was RIGHT--post1626--(climate related)

But what happens when we use so much solar energy that we exhaust its finite resources ? That's my major concern with going solar .

And people are already there using energy.

Solar tech has also gotten more efficient and smaller, so 20 years ago you'd have to buy up vast quantities of desert and lay out a few square miles of solar panels and then figure out a way to store that energy and transport it to the city. Now your panel size and space requirements are orders of magnitude smaller than they were in the 90's when many of these massive, remote solar farms were started. I think it is far more likely that engineering will solve these problems more quickly than is will solve the atmospheric carbon problems. Having said that, I am not against nuclear power either, we just need to be smart about where we put them, because, well, we've Fukashima'd that before.

Yeah. Massive solar farms are to solar tech in 2020s are 60s computer rooms are to smart phones today.

What's the biggest impediment to wide spread usage of solar energy? Batteries? Other than political impediments that is.

Storage, transmission, the unpredictability of weather. The articles discussed above to a good job of reviewing some of the concerns.

But those issues are largely political as well. I'm happy with my solar panels, but I wish it was affordable and legal to store the energy instead of being forced to sell it back to the grid. But I couldn't be completely off the grid because of weather issues and possible changes in my own energy usage down the road.

Mo Brooks' dirt comment ranks right up there with Limbaugh proclaiming that ice caps melting can't raise the water level, just like ice melting in your drink doesn't make your cup run over. It makes sense, if you don't think about it.

Hadn’t heard that one. That’s hilarious.

That still has a ways to go to catch the leader: when that congressman expressed concern that an island might capsize.

Wasn’t oceanic plastic pollution supposed to be the simple and practical thing that conservatives could address and fix because climate change was too hard? What happened here then?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...cean/?noredirect=on&__twitter_impression=true

Who said simple? Practical to the extent that it probably could be done. Does anyone know what was in the agreement that was not signed by the US? I, for one, would be interested in why they did not sign.

On a side note, plastic waste in the Mediterranean is also a huge problem and our virtuous European environmentalist heros don't seem to be very good at cleaning that up either. Maybe they are just too busy contributing to global warming with all their conferences on the subject and hot air blather about their good intentions.

Back