• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McDonald's needs to get rid of 10 million pounds of wings

I'm not sure which way you're attempting to make a point. If you're saying those are prices competitively, I don't see it. A dozen wings at most sit down places with sauce varieties runs you $8.99 or $9.99 and comes with a side. Most bars have a night where wings at $0.25 or less. I know they banking on money from the bar in that, but those just seem wildly over-priced for a place with a dollar menu.

I would challenge you to find a bar that has $.25 or less wings anymore. (let me know where it is too!!!)
That used to be common as the chicken wing used to be considered a by-product and was very cheap. That started to change about 7 or 8 years ago. Now it's (pound for pound) some of the most expensive meat there is (exotic things notwithstanding). Now the wings are the first thing chicken producers sell from the chicken.

I would challenge you to find a bar that has $.25 or less wings anymore. (let me know where it is too!!!)
That used to be common as the chicken wing used to be considered a by-product and was very cheap. That started to change about 7 or 8 years ago. Now it's (pound for pound) some of the most expensive meat there is (exotic things notwithstanding). Now the wings are the first thing chicken producers sell from the chicken.

yeah it's like how skirt steak and short ribs were considered off cuts and super cheap. then the masses discovered how delicious they are.

Agreed. Good spice. Good size. The lack of sauce wasn't bad for eating on the road. I think they have buffalo sauce if you want it. Best drive thru wings anywhere near me.

The price point was definitely too high. McD's isn't BW3s. You don't get variety. You don't get to hang out and watch a game. People don't go to McD's to pay the same price for food that they would at a sit down chain.

are there many drive-thru wing joints? that seems like a horrible idea.

Charlie's on Ninth Street in Durham used to have 10 cent wing night on Monday nights back in the day. It helped stop a friend from being a vegetarian. We could eat very well, drink a fountain drink each, and leave a 60% tip for $10.

are there many drive-thru wing joints? that seems like a horrible idea.

There aren't. That's one advantage McDonald's has. It's also something halfway decent on the menu. I never went there before I had kids even though my wife likes it too. Now there's something I don't mind eating.

In DC alone, places with $.25 wing specials:

51st State, Nanny O'Briens, Wingo's, Lucky Bar, Ventnor's, Big Hunt (15 cents if you order a bunch actually), Stetson's, Murphy's, Saloon, Public Bar, Bufallo Billiards, Old Dominion, Capital Lounge, McFadden's, Sign of the Whale, Bottom Line...

You get the point.

This is fucking McDonalds. And who eats 3 wings? They should just do 10 wings for $5 during the introduction and go from there.

In DC alone, places with $.25 wing specials:

51st State, Nanny O'Briens, Wingo's, Lucky Bar, Ventnor's, Big Hunt (15 cents if you order a bunch actually), Stetson's, Murphy's, Saloon, Public Bar, Bufallo Billiards, Old Dominion, Capital Lounge, McFadden's, Sign of the Whale, Bottom Line...

You get the point.

This is fucking McDonalds. And who eats 3 wings? They should just do 10 wings for $5 during the introduction and go from there.

Well, color me wrong
I can say with certainty (although I do live in NC w/o happy hour, so we don't get those deals) that I haven't seen wings cheaper than $.50 wings in a long time. (by a long time I mean 5 or 6 years)

Last edited:
metal rebel's in winston used to have FREE wings on monday nights

those were the days

metal rebel's in winston used to have FREE wings on monday nights

those were the days

I remember 10 cent wings and 5 dollar pitchers on Monday nights. When were they free?

They also had the biggest wings I've ever seen. Def came from mutant chickens

I remember 10 cent wings and 5 dollar pitchers on Monday nights. When were they free?

They also had the biggest wings I've ever seen. Def came from mutant chickens

our junior year they were free for a few months. i think by the time they were 10 cents people from wake had started to go there on mondays. when they were free wings, it was like me and 2-3 buddies and maybe 10 other townies tops.

Yeah this is my thought as well. Trying to eat wings in the car seems like a disaster.

That's one thing McD's got right. They're breaded so it's only crumbs instead of sauce.

our junior year they were free for a few months. i think by the time they were 10 cents people from wake had started to go there on mondays. when they were free wings, it was like me and 2-3 buddies and maybe 10 other townies tops.

Good thing the football team didn't find out about it when they were free.

Saw some offensive linemen in there a few times on a Monday night with about 100 wings in front of each of them

That's one thing McD's got right. They're breaded so it's only crumbs instead of sauce.

Good point. But what makes them that much different than getting chicken strips/tenders/whatever and not having to debone them?

Good thing the football team didn't find out about it when they were free.

Saw some offensive linemen in there a few times on a Monday night with about 100 wings in front of each of them

ah man i went to laney's on their wing night a few times and vallos/justice/callahan were just crushing like 50 wings each

There aren't. That's one advantage McDonald's has. It's also something halfway decent on the menu. I never went there before I had kids even though my wife likes it too. Now there's something I don't mind eating.

selling something that doesn't make sense isn't an advantage. that's why they can't sell them. wings from a drive-through makes zero sense.

Back