• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ways to Boost Your Home Wi-Fi

you're honestly better off masking a 2nd router to match the first to improve connection rather than a wifi extender

ogre-nerds.gif

you're honestly better off masking a 2nd router to match the first to improve connection rather than a wifi extender

I did this. Took me half a Saturday but the result is great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Any tips or links to a guide on how to do this? I'm looking to improve my signal in my bedroom, and just bought a new router

Thanks!

I'll thank you now. I have it bookmarked. Now I just have to find an old router.

i did it about 2 years ago and it was very frustrating but mainly because I'm an amateur at such things and I wasn't following the directions well. Critical to follow the directions in exact sequential order when changing the settings on the "slave" router or it will not work. I must have flubbed it 15 times before I finally got it to work. But once done, it's awesome and the whole house is blanketed in wi-fi seamlessly. Has been working for 2 years, even when the power goes out or something all the settings stay and it just comes back up. I haven't had to touch it since I set it up.

I was only kidding - but do follow directions exactly. It is a little bit tricky if you aren't familiar with adjusting settings like this. PM me if you have any questions - otherwise, good luck and enjoy. It truly expands the range significantly, especially if you have brick walls anywhere in your house that obscure it.

You can also use a powerline adapter to effectively give you a live ethernet jack in every room without having to run wire throughout your house, so you can install your second router in a different room (or on a different floor) or just plug your hardware in directly

You can also use a powerline adapter to effectively give you a live ethernet jack in every room without having to run wire throughout your house, so you can install your second router in a different room (or on a different floor) or just plug your hardware in directly

yep that's what I did. Works great even in a house with ancient wiring.

Back