• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach Clawson conference call with former players

I would try to set up "Wake ticket day" at local high schools. People from Wake ticket office would arrange to be at the HS and sell deeply discounted tickets to students. Would be better to have local HS kids in seats than have them empty.

Pretty sure that’s an NCAA violation.

That is the responsibility of the students. The world does not cater to them.

Sorta, but students are not obligated to attend games (other than at Duke for men's basketball). AD needs to do what it can to make students want to spend 4 hours at home games. All Clawson can do is put an interest and competitive product on the field. And Wake was blown out in most of its home conference games last year.

Pretty sure that’s an NCAA violation.

Duke did run a discounted student deal for the Wake football game this year. Don't think it got many more butts in the seats.

What is being suggested as much easier said than done.

:squint:

How would you target those folks?

Million different ways. Take a mith class. Give 1000 tickets to jiffy lube for cheap and work an oil change plus tickets giveaway. Sliy the cost of the radio ads. Shut like this works if the goal is to fill empty seats at cost + concessions

Duke did run a discounted student deal for the Wake football game this year. Don't think it got many more butts in the seats.

What is being suggested as much easier said than done.

I don’t think you can target HS students specifically, but I could be wrong.

Last year was brutal. So many home games in a row and so many noon kicks. It really screwed with the tailgate scene.

Double fair weekend was also a PITA. Especially for the yellow lot regulars.

There will unfortunately be a lot of UNC fans there excited about Mack returning them to the glory days

My sister and future BIL (both Wake grads) are getting married that weekend in North Cackalacky. There will a couple dozen more [out-of-town] Wake fans in the stands than would've been otherwise. Can't wait for the GTHC chants.

I think creating the illusion of more fans in the seats is as important as actual #s. I would get creative on the East side:

1. Create a barrier between the current students and the very top of the student section. Make that area for recent graduates. Free tickets for most recent graduating class and small increases through year 4.

2. Create a section for charities like big brother big sisters, JDRF, etc and give free tickets. Put up a banner or Something recognizing the charity so it gets free advertising and talk about it on the jumbo screen

3. Create some sort of competition among students (by class or organization) where the class or group that has best attendance at the end of the games results in a charitable donation at end of season. Publish results and recognize somehow.

4. Get grad students involved somehow

5. Get innovation quarter involved somehow

6. Have a school of the arts day, a Salem college day, and a WSSU day

Just get creative. Put students in charge of the project.

I think creating the illusion of more fans in the seats is as important as actual #s. I would get creative on the East side:

1. Create a barrier between the current students and the very top of the student section. Make that area for recent graduates. Free tickets for most recent graduating class and small increases through year 4.

2. Create a section for charities like big brother big sisters, JDRF, etc and give free tickets. Put up a banner or Something recognizing the charity so it gets free advertising and talk about it on the jumbo screen

3. Create some sort of competition among students (by class or organization) where the class or group that has best attendance at the end of the games results in a charitable donation at end of season. Publish results and recognize somehow.

4. Get grad students involved somehow

5. Get innovation quarter involved somehow

6. Have a school of the arts day, a Salem college day, and a WSSU day

Just get creative. Put students in charge of the project.

I would expect almost all of those free tickets to end up being visiting fans. It’s the same thing that has always happened with discounted basketball tickets in the student section during Christmas break. Even when we were great.

Win games, the fans will come. It’s unlikely to be the other way around at Wake or probably anywhere else really.

There will unfortunately be a lot of UNC fans there excited about Mack returning them to the glory days

Agreed and it's to be expected. I would think it's likely to be a lot like the State games in Winston. What's sad is the last time I saw those guys play each other was in 2007. It's been too long.

Agreed and it's to be expected. I would think it's likely to be a lot like the State games in Winston. What's sad is the last time I saw those guys play each other was in 2007. It's been too long.

Hopefully it’ll be the same result. That was an ass kicking.

Right which is already being done is kinda my point.

We've had this discussion dozens of times on the boards, and I understand the staffing limitations we have compared to big schools, but our sports marketing is pretty bad. Pretty sure that's the overall point. There's certainly reason to believe we could be/should be doing much more in terms of local outreach.

The fact that the only "innovative" ideas Wake sports marketing has ever had were fucking tie-dye shirts and a mascot on a motorcycle almost 15 years ago, and the fact that we're still using the motorcycle, should tell you all you need to know about that operation.

I mean, there was a fat guy in a bucket hat dancing in the stands and they gave him a job !? Is that how things generally work ?

We've had this discussion dozens of times on the boards, and I understand the staffing limitations we have compared to big schools, but our sports marketing is pretty bad. Pretty sure that's the overall point. There's certainly reason to believe we could be/should be doing much more in terms of local outreach.

Yet we have 26 people staffing the Deacon Club.

The fact that the only "innovative" ideas Wake sports marketing has ever had were fucking tie-dye shirts and a mascot on a motorcycle almost 15 years ago, and the fact that we're still using the motorcycle, should tell you all you need to know about that operation.

I mean, there was a fat guy in a bucket hat dancing in the stands and they gave him a job !? Is that how things generally work ?

HOW CAN YOU FORGET ABOUT FAN MAN??!!!!!!111

Given that the WF AD mismanages its finances, we’re probably still making payments on that motorcycle.

They WERE ahead of the curve on Red Panda tho.

Back