• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SNL had some funny skits last Saturday

Last week was hands down the best episode in some time. I'm not a fan of his music, but JT kills it in his skits.

Last week was hands down the best episode in some time. I'm not a fan of his music, but JT kills it in his skits.

It was good, probably the best this season, but there were some better ones last season.

Agreed. It was a strong episode. The "Baby It's Cold Outside" sketch was uncharacteristically good in that it could have gotten dumb at any point but stayed sweet with humor and heart.

The "twin bed" sketch was fantastic. Cecily Strong looked particularly strong in both. I hate that she's not doing her signature bit from last season, but she's been great in other roles.

Weekend Update was terrible. The Seth Myers victory tour can't end soon enough.

Last I heard, Lorne Michaels was trying to get Seth to come back and do it. Looks like that's not going to happen.

Otherwise, it's just going to be Cecily Strong going solo. She's good at reading the bits, but I'm not sure how good she'll be as a straight man to the characters. That's where Myers was good.

Gotta post this:

Agreed. It was a strong episode. The "Baby It's Cold Outside" sketch was uncharacteristically good in that it could have gotten dumb at any point but stayed sweet with humor and heart.

The "twin bed" sketch was fantastic. Cecily Strong looked particularly strong in both. I hate that she's not doing her signature bit from last season, but she's been great in other roles.

agree on all counts, especially the 'baby it's cold out'. nice to see that they can still pull of comedy without it flipping cynical/sarcastic

Last I heard, Lorne Michaels was trying to get Seth to come back and do it. Looks like that's not going to happen.

Otherwise, it's just going to be Cecily Strong going solo. She's good at reading the bits, but I'm not sure how good she'll be as a straight man to the characters. That's where Myers was good.

Gotta post this:

I think WU is best when someone can hit on the actual jokes for the "news". It's a dated concept now, as TDS does it so much better, but it can still be a viable model for delivering high quality comedic writing.

Daily Show doesn't do quick hit one liners about different topics. Weekend Update can still own that.

Daily Show doesn't do quick hit one liners about different topics. Weekend Update can still own that.

SNL hasn't owned that for a decade. Update has not been good for a while outside of characters.

The Beck Bennett sketch of the CEO in the body of a baby was the funniest skit on SNL this season

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

I think he's just a giggly dude. I always hated him on SNL because of it even though he was obviously talented.

Same. I like him much more now than I did then. Same goes for Amy Poehler although she still annoys me outside of Parks & Rec.

The new SNL cast members haven't done much to distinguish themselves, except for the baby CEO dude. But I can't tell you anything else he did. There is the DJ Qualls lookalike dude, too.

Back