• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Vacation Phone Call

discdude

Lampin in the cut
Reaction score
I am about to go on my honeymoon with my wife to Eleuthera. The cottage we rented does not have a phone, but does had wifi. While we are there the only reason I see a need to call is to make reservations at various restaurants. What is the cheapest way to do this? Pinger? Skype? Can someone explain the different skype rates? I appreciate any insights.

I will have my cell phone with me during the trip.

Best way I found when out of the country to keep rates down on cell and still be able to access stuff was to put the phone on airplane mode and enable WiFi. Make calls with Skype. Did fine for us when we went to Turks and Caicos.

I spent a week in your wife's urethra too. I didn't need a phone.

ETA: works on android, not sure about iphone

I can't think of many places on Eleuthera that would have a concierge...

Discdude, where are you going on the Island?

We are staying in a cottage right on French Leave Beach. It's on the Atlantic side of the island across from Governer's Harbour.

Yeah this isn't a concierge type of island. No real resorts mostly just private residences.

Also, Its just the Bahamas. Not like you are going to Sudan. Just bring your cell phone and roam. On VZW usually if you call ahead you can pay like an extra $10 for the month and get low roaming rates for a month.

We are staying in a cottage right on French Leave Beach. It's on the Atlantic side of the island across from Governer's Harbour.

Yeah this isn't a concierge type of island. No real resorts mostly just private residences.

Nice - have you been there before? Will you have a car?

You can make calls through google chat. Really easy and free

I've also used Viber (an app) to talk to my sister when she was in Australia. It's free and you can text or make phone calls when connected to wifi.

No this is our first visit. We are renting a Jeep for the trip.

Nice. Make sure you go the whole way north to the glass window bridge, and also check out the queen's baths. A good lunch spot up this way is the Laughing Lizard Cafe - good smoothies. I'd also recommend you take the ferry to Spanish Wells for a day; just really different from Eleuthera.
Going to the very very southern end of the island is cool, too, really wiiiiide beaches. I really like the beach at Rainbow Cay; it's just north of James Cistern on the Caribbean side. If you want a nice dinner one night, the restaurant at Sky Beach Club is good (or at least it was in 2009) and they've got a nice infinity pool w/ swim up bar that overlooks the atlantic side of things. I think it'll be north of where you are, but not by much.
I can't remember the name of the bakery, but somewhere in Gregory Town (north of you) is a bakery that makes the most delicious pineapple tarts... it's at the top of a hill.

I love the island; very friendly, very beautiful, and just a slower pace for everything. I lived in James Cistern for a few months in 2009 and my buddy is still there running the Bahamas Methodist Habitat.

I wouldn't count on VOIP working... you have no idea how good of a connection you'll have or whether the ISP allows VOIP traffic.

Oh- and if you do go the whole way up to Spanish Wells, you should also check out Preacher's Cave - it's just a neat historical point on the island.

...or you could do none of this stuff and just sit :)

I stayed in Tarpum Bay in 2005 and used my regular cell phone. I don't recall it being a lot of money. Only made a couple calls. Eleuthra is a great place. People are super cool and very friendly. Very relaxing. We went to Lighthouse Beach on the southern tip of the island and it was beautiful. You could go to just about any beach and not see anyone else for hours (at least on the southern end of the island). Snorkeling was awesome off the east coast. Seafood was great at most restaurants. Enjoy your trip.

Back