• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Skiing Utah

My biggest issue with the boarders I run into is that they're more reckless - they'll cut in real close to a person just because they can. When I was first learning, this unnerved me to no end. Granted, skiers do it too, but young snowboarders just think they are WAY too cool.

Last edited:
yeah but you get the same with skiers making pizza slices all the way down. And we don't ding the top of your skis with our poles in the lift lines :p

yeah! or run over your skis with the tips of our boards. seriously people, you have LONG PLANKS attached to your feet. watch where they're going. I have more than one gouge across the top of my board from someone's ski just sliding right over in the lift line..

My biggest issue with the boarders I run into is that they're more reckless - they'll cut in real close to a person just because they can. When I was first learning, this unnerved me to no end. Granted, skiers do it too, but young snowboarders just think they are WAY to cool.

This is mainly it. When I first learned to ski back in the mid 90's at Beech Mountain, I saw several different occasions of snowboarders being very reckless and causing accidents. Skiers can cause similar problems, but I think the stigma is more prominent with the snowboarders.

The problem with most snowboarders is that they were never taught (or refused to be taught) the basic etiquette of being on a snowy mountain with other people. the most fundamental rule in downhill skiing/boarding is to yield to the person below you. I see this rule violated routinely by snowboarders, not skiers.

On ski patrol, I have worked numerous bad collisions resulting in torn ligaments and worse. the ignorance of the above rule by snowboarders is generally the cause.

The problem with most snowboarders is that they were never taught (or refused to be taught) the basic etiquette of being on a snowy mountain with other people. the most fundamental rule in downhill skiing/boarding is to yield to the person below you. I see this rule violated routinely by snowboarders, not skiers.

On ski patrol, I have worked numerous bad collisions resulting in torn ligaments and worse. the ignorance of the above rule by snowboarders is generally the cause.

I'd say this is generally the case with young snowsports people these days - skiers and boarders alike. It's the older teenagers who think they're the shit because they've got shawn white's new set-up that I find to be the biggest problem with regards to being reckless, and unfortunately they're usually not that good, either. So not only are they reckless, they're clumsy and don't have good enough control.
We get little kid skiers zipping past like crazy, too, but they're so tiny (and generally really good - there are so many ski teams up here) it's not as much of a bother.

yeah but you get the same with skiers making pizza slices all the way down. And we don't ding the top of your skis with our poles in the lift lines :p

I mentioned snow-plowing...or pizza slices. That's another reason I don't like snowboarders. They can't read.

I'd say this is generally the case with young snowsports people these days - skiers and boarders alike. It's the older teenagers who think they're the shit because they've got shawn white's new set-up that I find to be the biggest problem with regards to being reckless, and unfortunately they're usually not that good, either. So not only are they reckless, they're clumsy and don't have good enough control.
We get little kid skiers zipping past like crazy, too, but they're so tiny (and generally really good - there are so many ski teams up here) it's not as much of a bother.

Agree with this. I think the recklessness is more the result of age than what their boots are attached to.

I mentioned snow-plowing...or pizza slices. That's another reason I don't like snowboarders. They can't read.

no shit, I was building on what you mentioned and saying plowing isn't exclusive to snowboarders.

can't we all just get along? :hug:

I agree that it is an age thing. Had some teenage kid on a snow board wreck into my wife (who was standing still near the lift) and knock her down. She was slightly pregnant at the time. No serious injuries, but we were not happy. She couldn't ski for the rest of the day, which was unfortunate considering the cost of a weekend out west.

I know skiers do it too, but it seems boarders tend to take wider tracks down the mountain. They also seem to mess up more powder on un-groomed slopes. Maybe I am wrong but those are my impressions.

I tried it once and wish I could do it, but it would take me forever to board like I can ski. It looks like fun. But I also like Alta as a ski-only mountain. Guess I would be cool with ski only or ski and adult snowboards. Finally, I guess that makes me old and pathetic.

Last edited:
Yeah, I feel really old and lame complaining about kids these days... especially given that I'm only 27 myself.

Oh well :)

It's been awhile, but do boarders still stop in packs in really stupid places? If so, fuck boarders.

It's been awhile, but do boarders still stop in packs in really stupid places? If so, fuck boarders.

Yep, and I yell at them every time. Ski kids do it, too though... emulating the boarders.
"Hmm, I think right over the crest of this hill is a GREAT place to stop!" WTH kids. I like to toss out a good "nobody can see you!" (with a 'dumbass' thrown in if they look like they can handle it)

interesting. I've never seen a skier just plop down in the middle of the run but like I said, it's been awhile.

They're young and seemingly trying to act like idiot boarders.

I don't have any tips for you, but I'm going to Park City for the first time in February. Can't wait

Back