• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jeff Teague hero for Hawks in double-overtime win vs. Cavaliers

DeaconOEF/OIFvet

Reaction score
Glad to see Jeff Teague progressing in his role of a leader on this Atlanta team.

CLEVELAND -- Jeff Teague never saw his winning shot bounce five times off the rim and fall through the basket Thursday night.

Fortunately, his teammates let him know the result.

Teague scored a career-high 34 points, including a 20-foot jumper at the buzzer in the second overtime, to give the Atlanta Hawks a 127-125 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Teague was flat on his back after shooting over Tristan Thompson and had no idea the ball went in until he was mobbed by his teammates. Only when Kyle Korver began pounding Teague's chest did reality hit.

"I couldn't even see it, but Kyle picked me up and told me what happened," Teague said. "I'm really happy it went in."

The Hawks would never have been in a position to win the game if not for Teague's 3-pointer with 4.9 seconds left that tied the game at 108-all in the first overtime.

"It was nice for this amazing game to finally be over," Atlanta coach Mike Budenholzer said. "Obviously, Jeff Teague made a lot of plays throughout the game and in the overtimes. I'm proud of him."

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489296

Teague: 34 pts 14 ast 6 reb 3 stl

Last edited:
He has turned into a stud NBA player. Good for him.

Could absolutely take of a game in college (Childress-esqe) and is now starting to do that in the league.

I've been following Teague this year.....he's having a great season.
Scoring and assists are up and he's been one of the key players on the team.

Paging BDZ, you're needed on the Sports Board

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

I think I've been on record multiple times that I thought Teague would have a decent year and is probably a midtier PG in the NBA at this point. Still nowhere near a top PG, and I think he actually had a better season statistically last year than he has so far this year, but yeah. Good for Teague.

I think I've been on record multiple times that I thought Teague would have a decent year and is probably a midtier PG in the NBA at this point. Still nowhere near a top PG, and I think he actually had a better season statistically last year than he has so far this year, but yeah. Good for Teague.

He's not shooting the ball as well this year but nearly everything else has gotten better in the same number of minutes. He's being much more aggressive this year and is getting to the line twice as often as he did last year. He has progressed nicely since he entered the league and is still only 25 years old. If he can bring his shooting numbers back up he could make an all star game at some point, especially if the east continues to suck as much as it does.

He's shooting the ball worse, and his assists and defensive counting stats are down. His scoring and rebounding are up slightly. Statistically, it's not as good.

I'd say there's a zero percent chance he makes an ASG on merit, but the East is weak in PGs right now, so I guess it's conceivable he could squeak in if his competition in conference takes a step back.

He's shooting the ball worse, and his assists and defensive counting stats are down. His scoring and rebounding are up slightly. Statistically, it's not as good.

I'd say there's a zero percent chance he makes an ASG on merit, but the East is weak in PGs right now, so I guess it's conceivable he could squeak in if his competition in conference takes a step back.

His assists are up from 7.2 to 8.2. His PER is slightly up as well.

As far as making an ASG on merit goes I'm not even sure what that means. Not sure how the voting will go down but the top 4 guards in the East are Wall, Irving, Wade and Afflalo. If Atlanta can separate itself from the rest of the East morass and Teague can bring his shooting numbers up a bit he'd be the 5th choice at guard IMO. Wouldn't be shocked to see him sneak in as a coaches pick or if one of those top 4 gets injured.

His assists are up from 7.2 to 8.2.

You're right. I was looking at those numbers backward.

As far as making an ASG on merit goes I'm not even sure what that means. Not sure how the voting will go down but the top 4 guards in the East are Wall, Irving, Wade and Afflalo. If Atlanta can separate itself from the rest of the East morass and Teague can bring his shooting numbers up a bit he'd be the 5th choice at guard IMO. Wouldn't be shocked to see him sneak in as a coaches pick or if one of those top 4 gets injured.

By on merit, I mean he might make the ASG by virtue of his competition and not because he's an All Star-level guard. Rondo, Deron Williams and Rose are all hurt. If Atlanta for some reason played in the West, there's a 0.0% chance he'd ever sniff the conversation about sneaking into an ASG.

Last edited:
I think there was one guy that said Teague was a top 10 PG and he got blasted by the majority of board NBA followers. I actually don't think the Teague supporters and Teague haters are that far off in their view of him... maybe a difference between middle tier and lower middle tier. The NBA is in a PG renaissance right now so mid tier is impressive for a late 1st round pick.

I think there was one guy that said Teague was a top 10 PG and he got blasted by the majority of board NBA followers. I actually don't think the Teague supporters and Teague haters are that far off in their view of him... maybe a difference between middle tier and lower middle tier. The NBA is in a PG renaissance right now so mid tier is impressive for a late 1st round pick.

I was that, or one of those guys. I admit bias, but also admit that it is not a far fetched comment. He is on the cusp this year in the 9-12 range (especially with the injuries). Take away the injuries then he is more in the mid tier (15-17) range. Statistically he is on par close to some that are considered 10, then the bias kicks in. For example, if Ty Lawson is considered the 10th best PG and teagues stats are similar, I will pick the Deac.

In sum, statistically it's not far fetched in terms of Poitns, assists, steals, and eve boards.

Back