• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Hip-Hop thread

disorienting. i feel like tyler is a terrible creative influence on earl, but that might just be me. i like tyler, but i always feel like he needs to keep his brand of dementia to himself.

"It obliges us to speak a lot, because it obliges us to speak carefully and inquisitively, and recklessness always takes fewer words than consideration. Just playing good rap for our friends isn’t being down for any cause unless we’re also participating in the conversation about systems of oppression. Hiphop kickstarted that conversation long before we got here, and however much time we’ve put in learning this culture we should always acknowledge that we’re guests.
Otherwise, we’re not just tourists or commuters to hiphop, free to walk unjudged through the streets our musical heroes depict. We’re worse than that. We’re subconsciously preying on that privilege in order to enjoy feeling Like A Bawse in private. We’re colonizing the music of someone else’s struggle."

Some really well-evinced thoughts in here. Glad to read someone else's nuanced thoughts on it more than just feeling white guilt or reading whitepeoplesaythings tags.

Anyone else listen to Wolf yet?

I've gone through it 3 or 4 times so far. Still making up my mind. At times it is utterly brilliant, and I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it's his best work yet. The production throughout is fantastic, and there are certain songs on there that I didn't think he was capable of. Really good shit.

I've gone through it 3 or 4 times so far. Still making up my mind. At times it is utterly brilliant, and I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it's his best work yet. The production throughout is fantastic, and there are certain songs on there that I didn't think he was capable of. Really good shit.

Aside from Answer, I think the first half is weak

Anybody gonna cop No Malice's album on Sunday? I've read great reviews.

Didn't know he became a christian rapper. Hope it works out for him better than it did for Mase.

Definitely gonna be interesting. The spot he had on Lecrae's "Church Clothes" mixtape was decent. But his singles have really impressed me.

Read an article that he wants to get back with Pusha and do another Clipse album & it'd be light vs dark going back & forth. It'd definitely be interesting.

Kendrick's first line after the auto tune sounds like DMX reunited with Funk Flex. It's really nice to hear a new diss verse/track even if it doesn't target a specific rapper; if anything it targets Kanye with his omission from the list. For me his verse on 'F***in Problems' is perfect from the perspective of witty and cocky balance as well as singability.

Back