• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Hip-Hop thread

bringing this thread back from the dead.

favorite dilla beat? maybe gobstopper, but this posthumous one is close.

It's probably cliche, but Fall in Love will always be my favorite Dilla beat.

Speaking of Pusha T, the production on the title track of Royce's album is so good.

What'd y'all think of Coloring Book?

Coloring Book is a gospel album. Some good tracks and pretty easy to listen to, but some it is pretty corny.

Damn, which ones do you think are corny, juice?

If Coloring Book is a gospel album, then it's a damn good gospel album. It's a pretty amazing hip hop record, IMO. Its internal consistency is pretty crazy. Even the more traditional radio songs are built on gospel samples.

Here are my favorites:

(or Ultralight Beam 2)

What do you think of the record, YoungBuck?

I've really enjoyed Coloring Book. I can see why Juice thinks it is a gospel album simply based off of one song, How Great...which is a really good song if you skip the first 3 minutes. Jay Elec was great on it. Like you, Blessings 2 (really both Blessings are good songs) & All We Got are probably my favorite from the tape. I still really love Angels and the music video he put out for it is one of my favorite.

I do think Chance killed it with the features on it and the production throughout the whole thing is top notch. To me, definitely better than Views and TLOP. Really only a few songs on TLOP that I enjoyed, and Drake is, well, Drake. Views was an incredibly boring album. Absolutely nothing new from Drake.

Last edited:
I can see why Juice thinks it is a gospel album simply based off of one song,

Nah, fam. I think it's a gospel album simply based off the whole album.

I dig that Chance is doing different stuff, and I like the album, but songs like Angels (which has a cool music video) and Blessings are just a little over-the-top cheesy positive. I also have an aversion to strongly evangelical Christian themes.

I, likewise, prefer TLOP to CB.

Nah, fam. I think it's a gospel album simply based off the whole album.

I dig that Chance is doing different stuff, and I like the album, but songs like Angels (which has a cool music video) and Blessings are just a little over-the-top cheesy positive. I also have an aversion to strongly evangelical Christian themes.

I, likewise, prefer TLOP to CB.

Understandable, my apologies. I think what gets me on CB is the production. It's some of my favorite recently. TLOP was good, it just felt like a mess to me.

ETA: that could be because of the absolute mess that the release was and the hype that was built around it. It just kept getting dragged out. Every time that Kanye puts something out, I hold out hope that it will be like College Dropout or Late Registration. Those two albums are phenomenal.

Last edited:

Can't stop listening to this track for some reason.

New Vic is aight. Flow has got aggressive over the last few years. Preferred Orange Soda and Down on My Luck, but I'll spin this a few times.

I cannot get into the Vic Mensa album. The personal and political content is interesting, but the album is really meh.

I dug his tracks with Kanye a lot, but yeah, his Kids These Days stuff was a lot of fun.

so mixtapes AND free albums? that's going to be a tough list i guess. Chance has two top 15 tapes in the last 16 years? I like Chance but whoa a bit of recency bias here?

surprised innanetape isn't on here.

Back