• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Hip-Hop thread

Been listening to this a lot lately. Always liked the beat, but Gucci Mane, to put it mildly, didn't do it justice. It's rare that OFWGKTA sample other beats, in fact I think this mixtape (Radical) is the only place they do it. Earl and Tyler the Creator slay this beat.

Tyler and odd future are good, but overrated. I think that their hype comes from the vaccum of anything new or interesting in hip hop right now.

Hip Hop is really in need of some younger innovative voices to push the genre in new directions. Some of the best new stuff that is trying to do this lately are Shabazz Palaces (although this is one of the old bros from Digable Planets, I'm told) and Kreayshawn.

Most of the music Rhymesayers puts out is golden. Brother Ali, POS, Atmosphere, Toki Wright and Doomtree are all great. Murs may be at the top for me though, he puts on a great show and Id go see him any time he was within 3 hours.

Blu hasnt put out enough music lately but "Below The Heavens" is one of the best albums Ive ever listened to. Exile and Fashawn's album is also worth a listen.

Big Sean's new album is streaming: check it out here.

'Ye's song "Mama's Boyfriend" is out there (he performed it at the facebook and twitter officies last summer sans beat), and I can see why he left it off MBDTF, sounds like an angst-ridden version of a College Dropout song

Also, J. Cole released the first single off his upcoming album, apparently he had the best rap set at Bonnaroo but i'm not a big supporter.

Big Sean's new album is streaming: check it out here.

'Ye's song "Mama's Boyfriend" is out there (he performed it at the facebook and twitter officies last summer sans beat), and I can see why he left it off MBDTF, sounds like an angst-ridden version of a College Dropout song

Also, J. Cole released the first single off his upcoming album, apparently he had the best rap set at Bonnaroo but i'm not a big supporter.

Yeah, this isn't the real version. It's been taken off the internet and Yeezy is trying to find and sue whoever put it out there.

I feel obligated to support J.Cole cause he's from NC but he's got no distinguishing qualities. He's a decent lyricist but he has no presence or persona. It's like listening to a cardboard box rap.

I downloaded the King Fantastic album today from 2010. I enjoy it.

Love it!
Common, Jay-Z, Nas, Little Brother, Lupe Fiasco, Skyzoo, Big Remo, Kanye west (just the producer) Talib Kweli, Mos Def, B.I.G, Pac, Tribe, EPMD, the WU, the roots, Outkast, RUN DMC, KRS1, PE, LL Cool J, (actually like) Rick Ross, Luda and T.I.

anybody see the BET Cypher this year? If so, thoughts?

I Got a Story to Tell was pretty sweet as well. Notorious Thugs is never played. I love Life After Death.

I think I've managed to play that out in my friend group, that song is way underrated and you're right, you never hear it out.

Interesting use of "hood rats" in your last post, Sota.

Nice breakdown, though. My roommates play Weezy day in and day out, so I've grown accustomed. Here's pretty much the only song I really like of his (though I think he's done a great job with Drake):

This song is fucking ridiculous.

My Fantasy Football team is called StuntinLikeMyDaddy.

Do you know this mashup:

I really like the new Phonte album.

Back