• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Hip-Hop thread

DeaconBrews

Reaction score
Honestly this is a personal litmus test to see how many pitters out there:

1. like hip-hop/rap/r&b
2. who they think is the best act (all-time or currently)
3. what they are listening to currently.

I'll start with #3, I can't get enough of OFWGKTA and Tyler, the Creator's album Goblin, really impressive effort for a teenager.

1. I like hip-hop/rap/r&b so much, I wanna take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant.

2. favorite act all time - hip-hop/rap: Afrika Bambaata; r&b: Jill Scott, Lauryn Hill, or Erykah Badu
favorite current act - hip-hop/rap: Kanye West, Aesop Rock, Invisible; r&b: Raphael Saadiq (probably more soul, or even rock)

3. Currently listening to a lot of Odd Future, like you mentioned. Tyler, the Creator hasn't fully clicked with me yet, but I'm getting there. Frank Ocean has 2 great tracks out this year, and in that vein, The Weeknd has a great LP. The new Beastie Boys is pretty good for such minimal production and drawn out release. G.O.O.D. music is slower these days, but pretty consistently on fire.

1. I like hip-hop/rap/r&b so much, I wanna take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant.

2. favorite act all time - hip-hop/rap: Afrika Bambaata; r&b: Jill Scott, Lauryn Hill, or Erykah Badu
favorite current act - hip-hop/rap: Kanye West, Aesop Rock, Invisible; r&b: Raphael Saadiq (probably more soul, or even rock)

3. Currently listening to a lot of Odd Future, like you mentioned. Tyler, the Creator hasn't fully clicked with me yet, but I'm getting there. Frank Ocean has 2 great tracks out this year, and in that vein, The Weeknd has a great LP. The new Beastie Boys is pretty good for such minimal production and drawn out release. G.O.O.D. music is slower these days, but pretty consistently on fire.

"she" feat. frank ocean is my favorite track on goblin

and i'm a big kanye supporter. MBDTF deserves to win best album at the grammy's, no argument.

You are wrong. A Tribe Called Quest perfected hip-hop in the 90s. It's all been downhill after that.

Yes. I love it.

My favorite of all time is probably B.I.G. Every time I listen to his albums I appreciate them more and wonder what could have been.

I've currently been listening to Atmosphere.

You are wrong. A Tribe Called Quest perfected hip-hop in the 90s. It's all been downhill after that.

The 90's were a f-cking fantastic decade for rap/hip-hop (Illimatic, Resurrection, Stress: The Extinction Agenda, Low End Theory, Liquid Swords, 36 Chambers ), but it is a little close-minded to say that it's been downhill since then.

Don't turn into the bid1966 of hip-hop

If you like Backpack rap (a la Tribe) check Childish Gambino, he's indie right now (and also happens to be a great comedian)

The 90's were a f-cking fantastic decade for rap/hip-hop (Illimatic, Resurrection, Stress: The Extinction Agenda, Low End Theory, Liquid Swords, 36 Chambers ), but it is a little close-minded to say that it's been downhill since then.

Obviously, I'm joking. Though, you'll have a hard time topping What's the Scenario. Here we go, yo.

There have been good hip hop acts since then, but - to me at least - many have blurred the line between straight rap or dance music (see Black Eyed Peas)

The black eyed peas can, quite literally, all die in a fire. They don't belong in any discussion about music.

Fuck 'em.

I'm still sad about Nate Dogg

Heard the Eminem verse in Wayne's "Drop the World" over the weekend for the first time in a while. Destroyed that verse, much like he destoryed the verse in Renegade with Jay-Z.

Sometimes I wonder if I would have lived my life differently if someone had told me after we lost to Kentucky in the 1996 Elite Eight what the next 15 years of hip-hop and Wake basketball would be like.

Love hip hop. OutKast is still my favorite. I guess I'm listening to whatever XM is playing on my drive to school.

This thread made me pull out a little Digable Planets last night. This song will now be stuck in my head all day.

Last edited:
what are everyone's thoughts on wiz khalifa, I saw him live last summer before black and yellow blew up and he was really good, however since then all the songs i've heard suck, including his mixtape kush and oj.

I always wonder what the hip hop scene would be like if so many guys hadnt died. Imagine if we had like a 40 year old biggie or tupac still rapping, would they be any good?

I know it's a sin, but I don't even like listening to Biggie anymore. His songs were so overplayed that I'm still sick of them. He was a monstrous talent though.

Also, I prefer Check Your Head to Paul's Boutique.

I feel so much better getting that off my chest.

In my first post, by invisible, I meant invincible.

I know it's a sin, but I don't even like listening to Biggie anymore. His songs were so overplayed that I'm still sick of them. He was a monstrous talent though.

Also, I prefer Check Your Head to Paul's Boutique.

I feel so much better getting that off my chest.

i dunno bro, a lot of my favorite biggie songs weren't big single hits. ten crack commandments? where is that overplayed?

Back