• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Treeing Walker Coonhound - ADOPTED!! (photo update in OP)

Ball State Deac

Reaction score
Mrs. BSD came across this sweet girl this weekend in the NC mountains:

1009938_10100103949186863_874479589_n.jpg

She was very thin and obviously had gotten lost. Evidently, these dogs get lost quite a bit while hunting, and people steal their tracking collars and leave the dog. She is absolutely sweet as can be and very gentle. If you are interested, please PM. She is currently recovering at a local shelter.

We are reasonably confident she is one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treeing_Walker_Coonhound

She has been adopted by a family!!!

Last edited:
I think that's a beagle- at least that's what it looks like in the pic. Doesn't look that skinny. Where in the mountains did you find it? I guess you brought it back with you and put it in a shelter near where you live?

Agree with BS, looks to be a beagle...Possibly was running rabbits and got separated.

My neighbor used to have one show up on his porch and spend the night there. It would eventually go back home a few miles away. A couple times I put it in the car and drove it home. Rabbit hunting dogs. If it's a beagle like it looks like. They come through here in packs sometimes and every so often one gets separated.

We had one for several years before having to put her down. Awesome dog. Just as sweet as can be.

It's the world's largest beagle if it is a beagle. Way too tall. So fuck you, tagger.

And this is a flattering photo in terms of weight. Just skin and bones.

That description on wiki is compelling - sounds like a wonderful breed.

Don't think it looks tall or long enough to be a coonhound. Coonhounds are awesome though. But even more awesome are beagles. So this pup looks like da bomb. We had 2 beagles before they both passed. Easily my favorite breed of dog. Hope to have another in the future. So I definitely recommend adopting a beagle of you could.

ETA: just saw you said it's rather tall. Whoops.

Has the local shelter scanned the dog for a chip? Where is the dog? Forsyth Humane Society?

"These hounds are affectionate as family pets and enjoy living indoors, but they were bred for a life of action, and require a great deal of outdoor exercise."

This is the key sentence. Also the stuff about discipline is huge. Don't have this breed, but I have a basset/beagle mix which is similar. Sweet and affectionate, but a pain in the ass to train. I imagine even more of a hunting dog requires that much more outside time.

Hounds are the best breed. Only bad side is they get that hound smell. And they howl.

They scanned, no chip. She is in Marble, NC. WAY WAY West.

I've lived in N.C. all my life and have traveled the state extensively. Just 15 minutes ago I'm looking over the obituaries in in the Fayetteville paper and there's one for a former resident who was living in Marble, NC at the time of death; never heard of the town which is unusual for me. So out of curiosity I google map the place and check it out on Wikipedia; you're right it's way the hell out there. But short story long, surprised that I went 56 years w/o any awareness of Marble, NC and it's referenced twice in 15 minutes. (cue the "cool story hansel" tag)

You bought a bag of dog food for her. She does have much longer legs.

Back