• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The size of our home basketball stadium

That's absolutely right. You were there. I now have a confession to make. I was there but I didn't buy a ticket. I sneaked in through an open side door along with a former Deac, who is now a prominent businessman in Winston-Salem, and so I wont mention his name.

Ah, those were the days. Today's WF students vote for Snooki to appear.

SMU's renovation of Moody (along with hiring of Larry Brown) has paid off big time. Shrunk the capacity from 10,000 to 7,000. They're selling out games now, and the "Moody Magic" is back. Regardless of how good Wake's team is year in and year out, the Joel is way too big for the size of our fan base. Would love to see something similar - maybe not 7,000, but some kind of reduction.

dal_e_moody11_576.jpg

^I agree completely. Never would happen, but I think 10k would be ideal.

10k would be great. Also, line the students around the court rather than sticking them all in one endzone. Seems to work well for many schools, including Pitt, Michigan State, and Duke.

Don't build a smaller stadium, build a bigger team. People who think our fans can't fill the Joel make me realize how long it's been since we've been good.

Don't build a smaller stadium, build a bigger team. People who think our fans can't fill the Joel make me realize how long it's been since we've been good.

UNC has never had much trouble filling the Joel, even when they sucked

10k would be great. Also, line the students around the court rather than sticking them all in one endzone. Seems to work well for many schools, including Pitt, Michigan State, and Duke.
Yes please. I almost prefer watching some games on TV. Watching a game from behind the basket sucks.

Even when Wake fielded good teams, there were still a fairly significant number of empty seats in the upper level. They were crappy seats in the corners and end zone though.

UNC has never had much trouble filling the Joel, even when they sucked

I was at the Joel on opening night. I also remember having to go to Greensborehole for ACC games before it was built. Nothing wrong with that building that 25 wins can't fix.

Unrealistic to have 25 wins most years. I would like to see a stadium that is close to packed every game, even for out of conference games that usually draw fewer.

Yes please. I almost prefer watching some games on TV. Watching a game from behind the basket sucks.

The student section used to be behind Wake's bench. I forget which year that changed, but it was like this for all the Rogers-Childress-Duncan years.

Last edited:
The student section used to be behind Wake's bench. I forget which year that changed, but it was like this for all the Rogers-Childress-Duncan years.

It changed during Skip's first season here so Fall 2001/Spring 2002. He wanted the student's there where they could make a bunch of noise for the other team. Worked for a while.

I've always been suspicious if that was really Skip's idea or just a way to sell an AD plan to move students into worse seats.

its really only been 4-5 years.

I've always been suspicious if that was really Skip's idea or just a way to sell an AD plan to move students into worse seats.

It would make sense given there was actual demand for basketball tickets at that point.

Well if so, then to his credit Mr. Wellman has reversed this decision by giving students their choice of downstairs seats the last four years.

Who would purchase 40-45 suites?

With 5 in a row over the Fightin' Buzzdicks, Clemson fans would probably purchase the suits. W-S is relatively close and it's always nice to watch the team beat up on a cream puff.

Have to get my licks in now, in case Ole Buzzer is on his way out and you guys actually become good again.

Back