• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The size of our home basketball stadium

Time to resurrect this thread. Much has happened since the last previous post. Not all of it good.

I am clearly not very smart. We should keep doing what we have been doing for the last 20 years I have been saying this.

SMU's renovation of Moody (along with hiring of Larry Brown) has paid off big time. Shrunk the capacity from 10,000 to 7,000. They're selling out games now, and the "Moody Magic" is back. Regardless of how good Wake's team is year in and year out, the Joel is way too big for the size of our fan base. Would love to see something similar - maybe not 7,000, but some kind of reduction.

dal_e_moody11_576.jpg

Would be more economical to just close the upper level of the Joel. The extra seats might be in demand for other events.

It's all Donald's fault. If he had written that check years ago, we would be a Top 5 program.

What about the size of our away basketball stadium. Why does no one care about that?

Good coaches and good teams bring the magic back. Our lack of postseason success had nothing to do with where we played. We were very strong at home most of those years.

Good coaches and good teams bring the magic back. Our lack of postseason success had nothing to do with where we played. We were very strong at home most of those years.

Clearly. And when Harry Giles sits behind our bench he’s impressed as well. We suck cause you suck.

With 5 in a row over the Fightin' Buzzdicks, Clemson fans would probably purchase the suits. W-S is relatively close and it's always nice to watch the team beat up on a cream puff.

Have to get my licks in now, in case Ole Buzzer is on his way out and you guys actually become good again.

no worries - the Bzaster did manage a win vs. Clemson, but Danny's 0-5

If we have a good team, we'll fill up what we have.

Clearly. And when Harry Giles sits behind our bench he’s impressed as well. We suck cause you suck.

I though it was my fault. No way I am sharing the credit with Chris.

My fault, damnit.

If only we had a had a smaller basketball arena then Harry Giles would have been ours!!!11111!!

Stop talking about Duke. They have a good coach and 4-5 NBA first rounders every year. Coaching and players outweigh arena size.

I think it’s fair to be honest that the Joel is too big for us. Even when we are good. It’s also dishonest to suggest that having a smaller arena would somehow make us better. Hire a good coach. Any money that would spent to build a new arena can just go to a new coach’s salary over 5 years. Our facilities are competitive. Our coaching is not.

I think it’s fair to be honest that the Joel is too big for us. Even when we are good. It’s also dishonest to suggest that having a smaller arena would somehow make us better. Hire a good coach. Any money that would spent to build a new arena can just go to a new coach’s salary over 5 years. Our facilities are competitive. Our coaching is not.

This is the right answer. At this point we need to put all our basketball financial resources into a really good coaching staff. Once they turn the program around, then we can make more upgrades to the stadium (or a new stadium).

Would be more economical to just close the upper level of the Joel. The extra seats might be in demand for other events.

Turn them into a sweet boxes up top that could be sold for BB games, concerts or executive meetings.

Back