• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The size of our home basketball stadium

donaldross

Reaction score
Our home basketball stadium contains nearly twice the seats as it should for our fan base. This has long been the case and many of us have hashed through this for a couple decades now.

It has long been argued that we fill it for every Duke and UNC Game -- a myth even during the 'glory days' of the mid-90s. That was always a bad argument of course--even though it was false--because a real 'home crowd advantage' is truly measured by a much needed bubble game against a middling ACC opponent.

Our students are now pathetic given the Buzz debacle. In addition, the merits of the decision to buy the Joel are behind us because, well, we bought it.

Given our present situation, I would propose ripping out the seats across from the benches and installing 500-750 student seats with 40-45 suites above the seats on that entire side. I would do whatever can be done to get seats out of the upper deck as much as possible and have additional student seating behind baskets if demand returns. I would then bring in the walls or drape the upper deck as much as possible in the event we ever do have excitement again and need additional seats. This would give 2-3k premium type club seating that we can charge a good price for and an additional 6-7k seats--many of which would still be on the floor for donors that do not choose the suite option. There still would be low demand for the regular seats but at least there would be some.

There are certainly some interesting arguments in this debate and have been for some time. But look around on Sunday and decide whether there is any merit to the argument that 'we always fill the place for UNC.'

Go Deacs.

Last edited:
Reducing seating capacity was one of the things on the questionnaire the school did when the Joel was purchased.

I don't disagree with needing to reduce seating in general (and I'd even take out your provisions for making such reductions temporary), but I don't see where you put 40-45 suites in on one side of the Joel. That's what, six or seven seating sections?

I do remember sitting in the aisle on the top row for our game vs UNC in 2009

Who would purchase 40-45 suites?

The demand for Club level seating in sports is pretty staggering.

And surveys are a great way to pretend you are listening. How many of us wrote buzzout on the survey.

I can't find the "we need an on campus arena" smiley. It's gotta be around here somewhere...

Is it unofficially official that it is called a "stadium" now?

I always knew Drew was crazy... And then he suggested we add 40-45 suites to the Joel. You drinking tonight, buddy?

I say we make the Joel bigger to make the attendance look even worse to expedite the firing of Bzzz. Ya know...

I'm ashamed to say that I'm a long time board poster but I don't know what hide your keys means.

Doesn't mean anything now that we're locked into the Joel.

Whatever happened to the on-campus arena fund?

The easiest way to make over the Joel is to fire [Redacted]. It will transform overnight.

Our home basketball stadium contains nearly twice the seats as it should for our fan base. This has long been the case and many of us have hashed through this for a couple decades now.

It has long been argued that we fill it for every Duke and UNC Game -- a myth even during the 'glory days' of the mid-90s. That was always a bad argument of course--even though it was false--because a real 'home crowd advantage' is truly measured by a much needed bubble game against a middling ACC opponent.

Our students are now pathetic given the Buzz debacle. In addition, the merits of the decision to buy the Joel are behind us because, well, we bought it.

Given our present situation, I would propose ripping out the seats across from the benches and installing 500-750 student seats with 40-45 suites above the seats on that entire side. I would do whatever can be done to get seats out of the upper deck as much as possible and have additional student seating behind baskets if demand returns. I would then bring in the walls or drape the upper deck as much as possible in the event we ever do have excitement again and need additional seats. This would give 2-3k premium type club seating that we can charge a good price for and an additional 6-7k seats--many of which would still be on the floor for donors that do not choose the suite option. There still would be low demand for the regular seats but at least there would be some.

There are certainly some interesting arguments in this debate and have been for some time. But look around on Sunday and decide whether there is any merit to the argument that 'we always fill the place for UNC.'

Go Deacs.

Like spending money, huh?

The easiest way to make over the Joel is to fire [Redacted]. It will transform overnight.

This. This. This.

The Joel has never been good on a consistent basis. So getting rid of Buzz is not the answer to that. Although it may be the answer to everything else in this world. The bottom line is we have the largest arena relative to our fan base in the country. We need to make drastic changes to reduce number of seats. Now is the perfect time to do that. We have invested over 100 million in recent years in our football stadium. Why can't we give our signature sport 25.

turf, had not gone out until after I started this thread, but it was a good night after that. Cheers friend.

The Joel is not just a basketball arena. It is a business arena that will be hosting multiple non basketball events and seating must me designed to fit those events too. A wall of 40 - 45 suites may not be a fit for all events.

Last edited:
Back