• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake County Schools Delayed Two Hours on 1/7/2014 because it is...

I'm glad jhmd trusts the bus driver to drive his kids on icy roads at 7:15 in the morning.

Really hoping for a cancellation tomorrow, need a break from how awful kids become after they spend a ton of time with their parents.

We have tons of water on the roads, it's already starting to freeze over, I hope my kids school is cancelled... And yes, I know this situation would be different then it being 'too cold', but I'm sure that's the reasoning behind the delay.

I'm glad jhmd trusts the bus driver to drive his kids on icy roads at 7:15 in the morning.

a) There's no precipitation in the forecast.
b) Our kids don't ride the bus.

Ph: Defeated.

jhmd: baited

As long as his kids get to school safely, other kids don't matter.

jhmd: baited

As long as his kids get to school safely, other kids don't matter.

You missed "a)", didn't you?

You need to lift your restraining order against facts.

and there's no other way for moisture to get on the roads that could then freeze?

and there's no other way for moisture to get on the roads that could then freeze?

#science

jhmd, (a) wasn't worth responding to.

Schools cancelled, not delayed, in Fulton County, GA. No snow or ice on the ground. Zero percent chance of precipitation overnight or tomorrow. Expected to be about 5 degrees at bus stop time. Not sure I understand.

Depending in the school they may use minimal heat durin the night. It could be on a timer and require a technician to reset. This is often the case with private schools and some public schools. Sometimes it's harder or impossible to get a technician in on time and best just to delay.

As someone who has worked in a school, the administrators have your best interest in mind. This isn't a decision made without thinking. Often lots of people are brought in on the decision and it's likely that the discussion began days ago when the forecast began showing the low temperatures.

Depending in the school they may use minimal heat durin the night. It could be on a timer and require a technician to reset. This is often the case with private schools and some public schools. Sometimes it's harder or impossible to get a technician in on time and best just to delay.

As someone who has worked in a school, the administrators have your best interest in mind. This isn't a decision made without thinking. Often lots of people are brought in on the decision and it's likely that the discussion began days ago when the forecast began showing the low temperatures.

the one thing I will say in his defense is that it IS wake county... so this isn't a given :)

but really, it's the correct call given all variables.

In WSFCS, middle school students will be waiting for the bus is 7 degrees tomorrow (without a delay).

My brother is in Alabama right now & said school in Montgomery was cancelled today. High was around 30 or so.

In WSFCS, middle school students will be waiting for the bus is 7 degrees tomorrow (without a delay).

My brother is in Alabama right now & said school in Montgomery was cancelled today. High was around 30 or so.

weren't they maybe expecting some precip though?
THAT one seems a little more ridiculous to me, because i don't think their ground temps were cold enough to really support anything frozen on the ground... but at least as far as the deep south is concerned, I can imagine they're more looking at it from the perspective of poorer kids that don't have appropriate coats to be standing outside, etc. maybe?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. They're nowhere AS used to that weather.

I'm not sure that people realize how cold 5 degrees with -10 to -20 wind chills really is. Especially in places where it so rarely gets below 20 and there is no reason to be prepared for that extreme type of weather.

I'm not sure that people realize how cold 5 degrees with -10 to -20 wind chills really is. Especially in places where it so rarely gets below 20 and there is no reason to be prepared for that extreme type of weather.

Thanks Obama.

#science

jhmd, (a) wasn't worth responding to.

#science says it freezes every time it gets below 32, which happened twice this week, each time without delay.

If I wanted an opinion worth having, I probably should have asked a real doctor.

I know, I'm just wondering where this boondoggle was when I was a kid. It's not like cold weather is a new development.

Back