• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake County Schools Delayed Two Hours on 1/7/2014 because it is...

...isn't that all it's ever about?
also, even in Jersey I don't think it routinely dips below zero. Not below freezing, but below zero.

Of course it does not routinely dip below zero in NJ. But it is routinely cold there in the winter. And I don't ever remember a day when school was cancelled because it was cold.

Hey Jersey crew representing on the weather thread! I think it is fairly ridiculous to close for the cold, but as others have mentioned, there could be other extenuating circumstances beyond just having kids out in the cold, like bus difficulties or problems getting the schools warm. I will say I had a day cancelled in HS because of rain. They had forecast 4-6 inches of snow, but the temp never got cold enough, so it ended up being around 35 with 2 inches of rain.

This winter has reminded me more of Jersey than any winter in the past 10-15 years, and it is still early. I don't even have a suitable winter coat any more, since it isn't worth it when the temp only gets below freezing (for a high) a couple days a year.

The icy road argument is without merit. According to the hourly predictions, a two hour delay will only result in 2 degrees of temp rise. 9 degrees and 11 degrees are the same damn thing when it comes to icy roads.

My teenage daughter, who will not be attending school tomorrow as Fulton County schools are closed, and I have decided to go to The Original Pancake House for breakfast. Kinda glad schools are closed tomorrow now that I think about it.

For the lowest possible wage in the most tax friendly environment possible.

Jobs have upward mobility, but that subsistence dependency check never goes up. I guess you think they don't deserve any better; probably aren't even as good as you.

Jobs have upward mobility, but that subsistence dependency check never goes up. I guess you think they don't deserve any better; probably aren't even as good as you.

Of course they aren't as good as me, I went to school when it was cold.

I remember when I was at wake trudging from student apartments to Calloway for an 8am class in what I recall to be degree weather. Likely January of 1994. I couldn't see because I was wearing glasses and my breath would freeze onto them.

This is not the coldest weather in the history of the triad, I'm pretty sure.

I remember negative degree weather when I was a kid as well in Greensboro. Certainly not the coldest day in triad history.

We discussed this at the FD last night and after thinking through it, we came to the decision it actually made sense for a few different reasons.

The biggest reason is this:
I don't even have a suitable winter coat any more, since it isn't worth it when the temp only gets below freezing (for a high) a couple days a year.

Especially with our rural school district, there are such a large number of low income students on free or reduced lunch. If the parents cant afford to pay for insanely cheap school food, they certainly wouldnt have the means to purchase suitable clothing for this type of weather. It poses great danger for kids to be outside waiting on a bus or walking to school in negative zero wind chills wearing nothing but a sweat shirt. As mentioned earlier, a delay wont help because the temperature is only going to raise a few degrees by 10am. Honestly, I'm just thankful we didnt have any runs last night. Its not much fun when you look like this.
118259_eb4e538bd54c6a568fee7f0a04a7cf9c_large.jpg

This is just jhmd's way of announcing his Tea Party candidacy for school board.

We discussed this at the FD last night and after thinking through it, we came to the decision it actually made sense for a few different reasons.

The biggest reason is this:

Especially with our rural school district, there are such a large number of low income students on free or reduced lunch. If the parents cant afford to pay for insanely cheap school food, they certainly wouldnt have the means to purchase suitable clothing for this type of weather. It poses great danger for kids to be outside waiting on a bus or walking to school in negative zero wind chills wearing nothing but a sweat shirt. As mentioned earlier, a delay wont help because the temperature is only going to raise a few degrees by 10am. Honestly, I'm just thankful we didnt have any runs last night. Its not much fun when you look like this.
118259_eb4e538bd54c6a568fee7f0a04a7cf9c_large.jpg

I saw footage of firefighters trying to put out a silo or something similar last night, up north. Their biggest problem was water freezing before it got to the fire.

The weather also wreaks havoc on the apparatus. On scene we have to continually circulate water through the pump or else it'll freeze up and bust. I've got a few friends in Detroit and Chicago, and they've said on many occasions that their trucks will get so encapsulated in ice during a fire that it'll freeze in place. They have to leave it there until it either thaws some or they can get one of the de-icing trucks from the airport can come and take care of it.

Back