• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake County Schools Delayed Two Hours on 1/7/2014 because it is...

Wed, January 19, 1994 - low was 0, high was 18. It was cold. I really can't believe I went to class.

That was my senior year of high school. I recall that we had some freezing rain followed by about two weeks straight when the temp never got close to going above freezing--lows were single digits and highs in the teens. Because the roads never fully cleared, we were out of school for a bunch of days. I actually got so bored being at home that I went with my Dad to a deposition in Tennessee on a truck accident case.

are the Wake and Charlotte-Mecklenburg County Schools claiming icy roads as reasoning for the delays?

are the Wake and Charlotte-Mecklenburg County Schools claiming icy roads as reasoning for the delays?

No. Not in Meck. They are claiming cold. Neither makes sense, seeing as a 2 hour delay did nothing for improving the cold situation or any potential ice situation.

No. Not in Meck. They are claiming cold. Neither makes sense, seeing as a 2 hour delay did nothing for improving the cold situation or any potential ice situation.

Ok just checking cause posters keep claiming icy conditions not present which doesn't seem to be why schools were delayed, not sure what it has to do with the discussion on the cold as a factor and whether a delay does anything to improve the situation.

0.33 inches of rain in center city Charlotte on Sunday.
http://www.weather.com/weather/pastweather/Charlotte+NC+28202:4:US?startdate=20140105
0.22 inches of rain in center city Charlotte yesterday (that was late Sunday night/early Monday morning).
http://www.weather.com/weather/yesterday/Charlotte+NC+28202:4:US?startdate=20140106

I call bullshit on that, it did not rain here yesterday - likely just the Weather Channel trying to make themselves look halfway respectable after their forecast for Monday as of Staurday was some sort of snow/rain mix all day. Fucking hacks. Anyway, if there was any precipitation, it was all gone long before they made the decision to delay school.

If these little turds can't sit in a cold classroom for a few hours, what are we going to do when the Chinese finally decide to invade? It's going to be awfully cold in those internment camps that they throw you pussies into.

I like this guy. He's a hoot.

You know, they call it a "forecast" and it doesn't come with fine print, money-back, guarantees. You can't very well cancel school the morning of. The same ones pissing and moaning about the schools being closed would be the first ones bitching if they hadn't cancelled it and kids were at bus-stops freezing, buses not starting and those that did sliding into ditches or wrecking, or having to send kids home if water pipes freeze or break at schools.

Goddamn, some of you are acting like this is some kind of huge, gigantic conspiracy. Isn't there a [Redacted] sound clip you can bitch about instead?

It was five degrees here in Atlanta this morning when my daughter walked our dogs with me because she wasn't in school.

030e5053ea14d7e363c2e7dfb882ef004727e2f74d6617e8104d567f8c1f74f7.jpg

I call bullshit on that, it did not rain here yesterday - likely just the Weather Channel trying to make themselves look halfway respectable after their forecast for Monday as of Staurday was some sort of snow/rain mix all day. Fucking hacks. Anyway, if there was any precipitation, it was all gone long before they made the decision to delay school.

Agree that all the roads were dry in CLT when the decision was made. It was definitely raining at my house (N. Charlotte) on Sunday and Monday around sunrise though. As Racer points out, Charlotte people said it was solely because of the cold.

Goddamn, some of you are acting like this is some kind of huge, gigantic conspiracy. Isn't there a [Redacted] sound clip you can bitch about instead?

Yeah, I don't get why this is a big deal. Cancelling school maybe, but who cares if they delay it 2 hours? 2&2 is the only person that put forth a decent answer.

Yeah, I don't get why this is a big deal. Cancelling school maybe, but who cares if they delay it 2 hours? 2&2 is the only person that put forth a decent answer.

The delay is harder, in some cases, than the cancellation. I know quite a few people at work who could have just stayed home and worked remotely for a cancellation. Instead, they ended up having to stay home for the morning, take their kids to school and then commute in...some are just now getting here.

Plus, the 2 hour delay, while it is only a delay for kids in school, means a complete cancellation for the morning for pre-school kids anyway, so my wife had to cancel everything she had going on since we still have 2 in pre-school.

If someone could give a good reason for justifying a delay, I'd be all ears. No one I've talked to seems to be able to come up with one. A delay accomplished nothing from a child safety or comfort standpoint. If anything, it had the potential to make things worse by putting buses on the road during rush hour as opposed to beforehand.

Last edited:
I understand this in Atlanta, there are kids in Dekalb county that barely have a coat let alone the proper clothing to wait at a bus stop for 30 to 50 mins in 0 degree windchills.

This is bullshit. I'm paying for half my staff to sit at home with their kids for the morning because the kids can't go to school yet ... because it is fucking cold out? It has been completely dry for days, there is no ice on the roads. The argument about kids without winter coats is garbage ... sure you don't send them out in a sweatshirt, but 5 shirts on top of each other will do the job, just like when I was a kid. Think of the kid in A Chrismtas Story getting wedged into his ancient stay-puff snowsuit ... today's sweatshirts layered would be a helluva lot warmer and more comfortable than that thing was, especially since every kid now has some sort of UnderArmor to go underneath it.

No wonder we are such a nation of pussies. Going to be the slightest bit uncomfortable? Just say fuck it and go do something else.

"Sure you don't send them out in a sweatshirt" - that's all some people have. Seriously.
Layer up. That's great IF YOU HAVE THE LAYERS. And if you don't... then what. Send the 5 yr old out anyway? Sucks for them that they're poor?
"No wonder we are such a nation of pussies." - Yeah! let's send our kids out to risk getting frostbite so they don't grow up to be pussies! And before you come back and balk about frostbite, these are exactly the conditions where it's an issue. High wind and extreme cold. It only takes 20 minutes.

Here is the reasoning given in Wake County:

Still, local school officials are being wary. All Triangle systems – Wake, Durham, Johnston, Chatham, Orange and Chapel Hill-Carrboro – will open two hours late Tuesday. The move is taken as a precaution, allowing time for administrators to check and fix damage to buses and heating systems before kids climb aboard.

“These types of temperatures tend to take a toll on our buses,” said Renee McCoy, spokeswoman for Wake County schools. “There’s an opportunity for batteries to be dead. We also have water in our brake fluid lines.”

Schoolchildren standing on corners in sub-freezing weather also are a concern.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/01/06/3510689/freezing-air-to-delay-wake-county.html#storylink=cpy

I understand this in Atlanta, there are kids in Dekalb county that barely have a coat let alone the proper clothing to wait at a bus stop for 30 to 50 mins in 0 degree windchills.

So, how did a 2 hour delay help that?

D
a
t
e
Time
(est)
Wind
(mph)
Vis.
(mi.)
WeatherSky Cond.Air
0710:52W 16 G 2910.00A Few CloudsFEW03813
0709:52W 12 G 2010.00A Few CloudsFEW03511
0708:52W 1310.00A Few CloudsFEW0309
0707:52NW 1210.00A Few CloudsFEW0307
0706:52NW 13 G 2210.00A Few CloudsFEW0307
0705:52W 15 G 2310.00A Few CloudsFEW0307
0704:52NW 16 G 2210.00FairCLR7
0703:52NW 13 G 2010.00FairCLR8

Here is the reasoning given in Wake County:

Still, local school officials are being wary. All Triangle systems – Wake, Durham, Johnston, Chatham, Orange and Chapel Hill-Carrboro – will open two hours late Tuesday. The move is taken as a precaution, allowing time for administrators to check and fix damage to buses and heating systems before kids climb aboard.

“These types of temperatures tend to take a toll on our buses,” said Renee McCoy, spokeswoman for Wake County schools. “There’s an opportunity for batteries to be dead. We also have water in our brake fluid lines.”

i.e. Rather than bringing in a few dozen employees 2 hours early to check the buses, we'll cause thousands upon thousands of parents to scramble to figure out what to do with their kids for a 2 hour delay, costing the economy WAY more than the overtime for a few dozen employees in the process.

The delay is harder, in some cases, than the cancellation. I know quite a few people at work who could have just stayed home and worked remotely for a cancellation. Instead, they ended up having to stay home for the morning, take their kids to school and then commute in...some are just now getting here.

Plus, the 2 hour delay, while it is only a delay for kids in school, means a complete cancellation for the morning for pre-school kids anyway, so my wife had to cancel everything she had going on since we still have 2 in pre-school.
If someone could give a good reason for justifying a delay, I'd be all ears. No one I've talked to seems to be able to come up with one. A delay accomplished nothing from a child safety or comfort standpoint. If anything, it had the potential to make things worse by putting buses on the road during rush hour as opposed to beforehand.
There are some good reasons already on the thread about heating buildings, but you aren't buying any of the bus justifications or that standing in the dark when it is 7 degrees is worse than standing in the sun when it is 11 degrees, so you probably won't buy any reason that has been given.
And did you seriously just say that some people are just getting to work at 11:50, and in the same post imply the delay could make things worse by putting buses on the road during rush hour as opposed to beforehand? Buses are normally on the road during rush hour. They are also on the road before 6:00 on a typical day.

Back