• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake County Schools Delayed Two Hours on 1/7/2014 because it is...

since i don't have any kids to force out in to the cold to toughen 'em up i made my dog go swim in it.

20140107_135620.jpg

I don't know whether they are pansies, but I do know that they lack common sense and basic reasoning skills. If the goal is to keep kids out of the cold, a 2 hour delay is not a viable solution.

How many parents with hourly jobs will lose 2-4+ hours of pay this week without anything accomplished with regards to child safety?

think of all the jackets they could have bought!

Since this has become a toughness referendum, I thought it would be fun to share this... My daughter goes to private school, and she didn't have a delay at all this morning and won't tomorrow either. Of course, there are no buses to wait for in the cold for her, so that mitigates some of the issues. They did keep the kids inside at recess today, though. It has to be at least 20 degrees for them to have outside recess, so this is the first time since she's been there that they have kept the kids in due to cold.

Wed, January 19, 1994 - low was 0, high was 18. It was cold. I really can't believe I went to class.

if it was sophomore year you most certainly would not have attended, even if class was being held in your colon

"Sure you don't send them out in a sweatshirt" - that's all some people have. Seriously.
Layer up. That's great IF YOU HAVE THE LAYERS. And if you don't... then what. Send the 5 yr old out anyway? Sucks for them that they're poor?
"No wonder we are such a nation of pussies." - Yeah! let's send our kids out to risk getting frostbite so they don't grow up to be pussies! And before you come back and balk about frostbite, these are exactly the conditions where it's an issue. High wind and extreme cold. It only takes 20 minutes.

Please explain how the 20 minutes at 5 degrees between 7:00 and 7:20 is meaningfully better than the 20 minutes at 7 degrees between 9:00 and 9:20.

We have a problem:solution disconnect.

i.e. Rather than bringing in a few dozen employees 2 hours early to check the buses, we'll cause thousands upon thousands of parents to scramble to figure out what to do with their kids for a 2 hour delay, costing the economy WAY more than the overtime for a few dozen employees in the process.

And, as noted, not actually solving any aspect of the problem.

Please explain how the 20 minutes at 5 degrees between 7:00 and 7:20 is meaningfully better than the 20 minutes at 7 degrees between 9:00 and 9:20.

We have a problem:solution disconnect.

So you're advocating they should have cancelled school? Because you're right, it's marginally better at best, but at least the sun had come up by then.

So you're advocating they should have cancelled school? Because you're right, it's marginally better at best, but at least the sun had come up by then.

It either is a problem, or it isn't. If it is, then solve the problem. This charade did neither, and disrupted the routines of a couple hundred thousand families (and businesses that they work at), to not solve this (non)problem.

I think it isn't a problem, b/c it's never has been. Cold has always been cold. This isn't a new development. In fact, we're probably better equipped to deal with it now than in the past.

Last edited:

Only, his times are off for most kids. They only work for the schools that normally start later (9-9:15). Most kids who ride the bus were simply outside before 8 rather than outside before 6, at which point the temps weren't any warmer and the sun wasn't up.

This is what you get from 50 years of single-party control over the school boards.

Wake County had the wisdom to elect a conservative school board a few cycles back, which resulted in more school choice and neighborhood schools, so parents could have a say in which schools their children went to and thereby reduce the amount of bussing (and thus, reduce the risk for succumbing to exposure while waiting to be bussed to go read the same books across town). Why do you guys hate children so much, anyway?

pretty sure the schoolboard was protecting minority children from having to loiter in the streets with hoodies on.

Mecklenburg on a 2 hour delay again tomorrow. Same explanation about kids outside in near 0 temps and buses not starting, neither of which a 2 hour delay solves. Facepalm

Was hoping to grab some drinks with some co-workers in town from SF tomorrow night, but after 2 straight days home with all three kids two days worth of part-time work to make up, I'm not sure I can do that to my wife. Damn you CMS!!!

Surprised about tomorrow's delay. Supposed to be warmer tonight/tomorrow morning and they had no issues today.

You shouldn't be socializing with anyone from SF this week anyway. :)

Surprised about tomorrow's delay. Supposed to be warmer tonight/tomorrow morning and they had no issues today.

You shouldn't be socializing with anyone from SF this week anyway. :)

Racer and his buddies are meeting Ric Flair for cosmos after work.

I was beginning to think that I was the only one that hadn't lost his mind simply because its cold. Big deal. Put on your parkas and deal with it.

I still can't believe school systems were closed because of COLD! I think Atlanta area schools were closed too. Ice and snow I can totally understand. Cold? Please.

It is pretty funny that school is delayed today because of the cold and it is 16 degrees right now. 16 degrees is a temperature we hit pretty much every winter.

It is pretty funny that school is delayed today because of the cold and it is 16 degrees right now. 16 degrees is a temperature we hit pretty much every winter.

The school admins must have really enjoyed their extra time at the gym or Starbucks yesterday morning...

Another thing to consider. Those kids that don't have warm coats are probably the same kids that depend on school provided breakfasts for one of their daily meals. They didn't get that yesterday or today. Also, their houses probably aren't adequately heated (safe assumption if they don't have a warm jacket) and they spent 2 more hours in a cold house most likely than in a warm classroom yesterday.

Back