• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake County Schools Delayed Two Hours on 1/7/2014 because it is...

Another thing to consider. Those kids that don't have warm coats are probably the same kids that depend on school provided breakfasts for one of their daily meals. They didn't get that yesterday or today. Also, their houses probably aren't adequately heated (safe assumption if they don't have a warm jacket) and they spent 2 more hours in a cold house most likely than in a warm classroom yesterday.

And their parents probably had to stay home from an hourly job without pay. Saw some posts on FB yesterday from soccer mom types that were tired of reading complaints about the delay, because it really wasn't "a big disruption" to their day and it meant keeping the kids warm. First, they should check the weather on that whole "warmer" thing. And, well yeah, when it means you miss out on Starbucks and have to push your yoga class back a couple hours, I can see how it's not a big disruption to your day.

We discussed this at the FD last night and after thinking through it, we came to the decision it actually made sense for a few different reasons.

The biggest reason is this:

Especially with our rural school district, there are such a large number of low income students on free or reduced lunch. If the parents cant afford to pay for insanely cheap school food, they certainly wouldnt have the means to purchase suitable clothing for this type of weather. It poses great danger for kids to be outside waiting on a bus or walking to school in negative zero wind chills wearing nothing but a sweat shirt. As mentioned earlier, a delay wont help because the temperature is only going to raise a few degrees by 10am. Honestly, I'm just thankful we didnt have any runs last night. Its not much fun when you look like this.
118259_eb4e538bd54c6a568fee7f0a04a7cf9c_large.jpg

I drove several of your backgrounds yesterday morning and afternoon. There was ice on them in numerous spots and it had not melted by the afternoon.

And their parents probably had to stay home from an hourly job without pay. Saw some posts on FB yesterday from soccer mom types that were tired of reading complaints about the delay, because it really wasn't "a big disruption" to their day and it meant keeping the kids warm. First, they should check the weather on that whole "warmer" thing. And, well yeah, when it means you miss out on Starbucks and have to push your yoga class back a couple hours, I can see how it's not a big disruption to your day.

And it isn't their kids that they want to feel good about protecting, but the kids of the parents that they just denied breakfast and put their family through a significant hardship. The unintended consequences of nanny statin'!!!!

The school admins must have really enjoyed their extra time at the gym or Starbucks yesterday morning...

Except for the fact that they don't get a 2 hour delay. They have to go in at the regular time regardless.

Wake County had the wisdom to elect a conservative school board a few cycles back, which resulted in more school choice and neighborhood schools, so parents could have a say in which schools their children went to and thereby reduce the amount of bussing (and thus, reduce the risk for succumbing to exposure while waiting to be bussed to go read the same books across town). Why do you guys hate children so much, anyway?

It was the single most regressive school board since integration. The verbal gymnastics in your post are astounding. They were de facto resegregating the schools, jh.

DOH. I fell into your trap.

Except for the fact that they don't get a 2 hour delay. They have to go in at the regular time regardless.

Then, rather than just being selfish with their time, the answer is simply incompetence. Got it.

Another thing to consider. Those kids that don't have warm coats are probably the same kids that depend on school provided breakfasts for one of their daily meals. They didn't get that yesterday or today. Also, their houses probably aren't adequately heated (safe assumption if they don't have a warm jacket) and they spent 2 more hours in a cold house most likely than in a warm classroom yesterday.

It's quite a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Baltimore City was open yesterday (I believe) and a teacher I know said something similar. Many kids wouldn't admit it, but they were happy to be in school yesterday because it was a heated building.

I tend to be overly concerned about the safety of my 3 boys (almost saw the youngest die in an accident when he was 2 months old...it changed me forever), and I think the delay the last 2 days is pointless.

It is pretty funny that school is delayed today because of the cold and it is 16 degrees right now. 16 degrees is a temperature we hit pretty much every winter.

Yeah, yesterday I was OK with it because 6 degrees and wind is, like, really bad. 16 degrees with no wind is not that big a deal. Today was stupid.

Those of you who are doubting the value of thermal warming have apparently never spent much time in cold temperatures. Go skiing or boarding in 12 degree weather in bright sun vs. night skiing and then tell me that the sun doesn't make a difference.

Indeed. Thermal absorption doesn't work on the same linear scale as increases in ambient temps.

Those of you who are doubting the value of thermal warming have apparently never spent much time in cold temperatures. Go skiing or boarding in 12 degree weather in bright sun vs. night skiing and then tell me that the sun doesn't make a difference.

I'm not doubting it. I'm normally walking to my own bus stop sometime between 7 and 8 AM each morning, right around sunrise. I'm telling you that whether school starts at 7:15 or 9:15, kids were standing outside in the dark and single digit temps yesterday morning (passed by 3 groups of them on my way to my bus yesterday). A 9:15 bell still means standing outside at at 7 AM, well before sunrise and certainly well before there was "bright sun". The time just before sunrise, when kids were standing outside yesterday, is often the coldest of the morning...it was yesterday and was again today:

D
a
t
e
Time
(est)
Wind
(mph)
Vis.
(mi.)
WeatherSky Cond.Air
0809:52Calm10.00A Few CloudsFEW25026
0808:52S 310.00A Few CloudsFEW25022
0807:52S 510.00A Few CloudsFEW25016
0806:52Calm10.00A Few CloudsFEW25016
0805:52NW 310.00FairCLR16
0804:52Calm10.00FairCLR19
0803:52SW 310.00FairCLR20
0802:52S 310.00FairCLR20

It was the single most regressive school board since integration. The verbal gymnastics in your post are astounding. They were de facto resegregating the schools, jh.

DOH. I fell into your trap.

Yeah, not replying to jhmd requires even more patience than the dog who was trained to not eat cupcakes.

JuwKW.gif

Last edited:
My wife was late for her nursing classes for the second day in a row (she's only allowed a few tardies, before she's dropped from the program) due to this stupid school delay due to cold weather. She's down there by herself with my daughter in Wilmington until she finishes her school, with the closest relatives living 2 and a half hours away.

This school delay due to cold weather is one of the stupidest fucking actions, out of a long line of dumb fucking actions that the NC School of Education has brought up in recent times. Seriously, they are completely fucking over people like my wife, just for some lame excuse to delay school.

And it isn't their kids that they want to feel good about protecting, but the kids of the parents that they just denied breakfast and put their family through a significant hardship. The unintended consequences of nanny statin'!!!!

Charlotte schools still provide breakfast on a 2 hour delay. Your school system doesn't?

Charlotte schools still provide breakfast on a 2 hour delay. Your school system doesn't?

Pretty sure they are obligated to provide all the meals. I know when Stokes Co. Schools had early dismissals (out at 11:00), they fed everyone lunch. I think they had to start the lunch process around 8:30 to do it.

I am not sure. I hope they do for the sake of those kids that rely on those meals.

Back