• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina BBall & FBall Players Can't Read Very Well

2nd grade reading level apparently. 3rd grade would have cut it.

They couldn't have known. I only applied because their application was 1 page and had no essays or mention of extra curricular activities. Also the only one who asked for the PSAT (which was my strongest suit). Thought I'd get in there and get rejected from Wake and UVA, ended up the opposite.

The author didn't specify if this was english or swahili 3rd grade reading.

Unfortunately it's not just Carolina. I am a middle school teacher. I see how kids get passed to the next grade without even being able to write their own names. Our educational institution is so ass backwards here. You would be amazed at what you see on a day to day basis as a teacher. In other countries, if a student doesn't master the material they hold them back until the master it. Here, it doesn't matter. They are moving on to the next grade NO MATTER WHAT.

I taught school for 25 years, and the incidence of politics or of the "I don't want to have to deal with the aftermath" (or make the emotional investment to impart educable opportunities) would seem THE STATUS QUO. A fine example to set indeed. If the taxpayer doesn't discern that kids pick up on how that particular system plays out, it's a terrible irony that the public education system is that which produces that very sentiment.

They couldn't have known. I only applied because their application was 1 page and had no essays or mention of extra curricular activities. Also the only one who asked for the PSAT (which was my strongest suit). Thought I'd get in there and get rejected from Wake and UVA, ended up the opposite.

How old are you? The UNC application has required essays since at least 1995

We needed a research study for this? In other news, the Earth is round and has one moon.

9mPWKZp.jpg

How old are you? The UNC application has required essays since at least 1995
He would have applied in 1998. I think we've just found the reason he wasnt accepted. I'm almost positive the application was much longer than 1 page.

Surprising the number of people here who actually applied to UNC.

UNC fans taking the "don't care, everyone does it" mentality. Also blaming the media for reporting it and conspiring against them.

Surprising the number of people here who actually applied to UNC.

Really? I always got the impression most people on the boards built allegiance to Wake by way of attending, not growing up a life long fan. They're so closely matched academically that it makes sense to apply to both, or, at least it did prior to Wake's costs skyrocketing the last few years.

Add me to the group that applied and didn't get in to UNC.

Really? I always got the impression most people on the boards built allegiance to Wake by way of attending, not growing up a life long fan. They're so closely matched academically that it makes sense to apply to both, or, at least it did prior to Wake's costs skyrocketing the last few years.

Add me to the group that applied and didn't get in to UNC.

I've always had a hatred of UNC. Wouldn't have considered them even for a full ride and a grant. Small and private isn't really a close match for huge and public.

I've always had a hatred of UNC. Wouldn't have considered them even for a full ride and a grant. Small and private isn't really a close match for huge and public.

Same here. Only people I knew who were accepted into UNC out of state had family connections and were douche bags. Everyone else who tried was rejected. This was way back in '86 so it may have changed.

UNC fans taking the "don't care, everyone does it" mentality. Also blaming the media for reporting it and conspiring against them.

it's good they finally admit that the carolina way means treating athlete academics in the same manner lsu does

it's good they finally admit that the carolina way means treating athlete academics in the same manner lsu does

love how it was a UNC basketball player who couldn't read 3 syllable words

at teh same time sad and depressed about hte state of our public education

I got in. UNC was my second choice behind Wake. I think I would have really enjoyed it there (sports allegiances aside, of course).

Have applied for grad school as well.

I got in. UNC was my second choice behind Wake. I think I would have really enjoyed it there (sports allegiances aside, of course).

Have applied for grad school as well.

Then the question becomes obvious: why do you pity the blue?

Back