• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina BBall & FBall Players Can't Read Very Well

She should be able to get that pretty easily, unless some sort of politics comes into play. Which wouldn't be surprising.

agreed...will be curious to see how this turns out

Let's shut the woman up, she might inadvertently expose a player's identity like posting a "fake" transcript online that belonged to the most recognizable current NFL player from UNC.

--- UNC Athletic Department

I am pretty sure Lawrence Taylor is functionally illiterate. I know he's not the guy being referred to in the article, but I am about 99.9% positive that he cannot read.

During the UNC game earlier today the commentators were pretty blatant with their AD talking points, mentioning how Marcus Paige was signed up for a literature class and was really enjoying reading Chaucer. It was almost as ridiculous as some of the pro-Bz nonsense that they start rambling about during our games.

That's a great article.

Much more important, though, is UNC’s transparent attempt to change the topic from undisputed fraud (phony classes, faked grades) to Mary Willingham. The “travesty,” to use Provost Dean’s highly charged word, consists not of one chagrined staff tutor who may—and I stress may—have misinterpreted test results. The travesty is that UNC put athletes in pretend Swahili language classes to keep them eligible. The “unfairness” stems not from Willingham’s desire to come clean after years of participating in a dirty system. It stems from UNC cheating its basketball and football stars out of the education they deserve. And let’s not forget that non-athlete students became collateral damage when they unwittingly wandered into sham classes that did nothing to build their knowledge or skills.

Here's their other campus:

"Here at the derek zoolander school for children who cant read good and wanna learn to do other stuff good too we pride ourselfs on educating all the children of the word in a way thats fun and exciting.

The Centre is run by Me derek zoolander and my new friend hansol

if you have any kids who cant read good and want to learn to do other things good too then bring them down to the Derek Zoolander school for Children Who Cant Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too."

UVA students doing well for themselves tonight:

9ypy6amu.jpg

uvabarun.jpg

Anyone involved with "educational testing" is going to skew results to fit the desires of the group writing the check.

Anyone involved with "educational testing" is going to skew results to fit the desires of the group writing the check.

Except apparently Willingham.

It doesn't matter how you set up a test, if your test is a reasonably objective test and you find that almost all of your basketball and football players are fucking stupid, they are fucking stupid. Quit trying to blame the messenger and instead fix the problem you worthless piece of shit tarholes with your Carolina Way garbage.

From Thursday's N&O:

UNC-CH Chancellor Folt says university accepts responsibility for academic fraud

CHAPEL HILL — UNC-Chapel Hill Chancellor Carol Folt made a public admission Thursday that the university accepts responsibility and is “absolutely” accountable for the bogus African studies classes populated by athletes for years.

Speaking to the university’s Board of Trustees to mark six months since she became chancellor, Folt said of the academic fraud: “At Carolina, proceeding toward meaningful athletic and academic reform is requiring us to fully acknowledge and accept lessons of our past.”

She did not go as far as to say the bogus classes and independent studies were created specifically to keep athletes eligible.

“Although we don’t have evidence that the anomalous courses were initiated in order to benefit athletes, close to half who did enroll were student-athletes,” she said.

The unsupervised courses were “not reflective of the standard that we expect for our university,” she said...

So much PR nonsense.

Where there's smoke...

From Thursday's N&O:

UNC-CH Chancellor Folt says university accepts responsibility for academic fraud

CHAPEL HILL — UNC-Chapel Hill Chancellor Carol Folt made a public admission Thursday that the university accepts responsibility and is “absolutely” accountable for the bogus African studies classes populated by athletes for years.

Speaking to the university’s Board of Trustees to mark six months since she became chancellor, Folt said of the academic fraud: “At Carolina, proceeding toward meaningful athletic and academic reform is requiring us to fully acknowledge and accept lessons of our past.

She did not go as far as to say the bogus classes and independent studies were created specifically to keep athletes eligible.

“Although we don’t have evidence that the anomalous courses were initiated in order to benefit athletes, close to half who did enroll were student-athletes,” she said.

The unsupervised courses were “not reflective of the standard that we expect for our university,” she said...

It seems that those words don't mean what you think they mean.

You mean me? Because I understand perfectly.

The Carol Folt playbook
By Joe Asch
Posted Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Chapel Hill, NC - In the UNC’s Mary Willingham student-athlete-literacy scandal, people at Dartmouth recognize that Chancellor Carol Folt is working from her usual playbook. Rather than facing serious revelations head on, she is yet again just running a PR damage control effort.

Here's how it works: first the administration ignores the problem; then it denies that the problem even exists, a denial that is wrapped in laudatory remarks about the institution; and then a full-on offensive aims to discredit and punish the whistleblower. Finally, some type of large endeavor is announced with the goal of taking the school's focus off the entire subject...

No, Folt. She says they need to "fully acknowledge and accept the lessons of [their] past", then immediately goes on to not fully acknowledge the athletics motivation for the bogus class.

Last edited:
She says they need to "fully acknowledge and accept the lessons of [their] past", then immediately goes on to not full acknowledge the athletics motivation for the bogus class.
She's throwing Holden Thorpe under the bus. Thorpe is the one that apparently requested Willingham's study. Some UNC alums I've talked to think Willingham was sort of a time bomb initiated by Thorpe because of the way he was treated. The faculty really liked him.

Except apparently Willingham.

It doesn't matter how you set up a test, if your test is a reasonably objective test and you find that almost all of your basketball and football players are fucking stupid, they are fucking stupid. Quit trying to blame the messenger and instead fix the problem you worthless piece of shit tarholes with your Carolina Way garbage.

I was not clear. When making fun of "educational testing," I was referring to those who have little education experience who sit in an office making crap up while having no interaction with actual students. These are the type of know-it-alls who appear to have been hired by Carolina for the "independent" review. Willingham actually worked with students and therefore knows whether or not they can read, not to mention the witness accounts of tutors writing papers for students, etc.

Back