• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina BBall & FBall Players Can't Read Very Well

She's throwing Holden Thorpe under the bus. Thorpe is the one that apparently requested Willingham's study. Some UNC alums I've talked to think Willingham was sort of a time bomb initiated by Thorpe because of the way he was treated. The faculty really liked him.

Somebody needs to throw him under the bus. He hid all this mess, just as many Tar Heel execs have for years. At least Chancellor Folt is coming out and admitting it.

UVA students doing well for themselves tonight:

9ypy6amu.jpg

uvabarun.jpg

Believe at this same game the student section was singing their ABC's while UNC was at the line.

Our students really got screwed playing UNC over the break and before this broke. What a golden opportunity.

Maybe I am misinterpreting, but it seems that the UNC Admins would rather spin this as an academic scandal than one based on athletics. That just seems crazy to me. Is taking down banners more important than the loss of accreditation? I guess it is more that. . .it takes a village, so to speak, to give degrees to functional illiterates. Many of the professors themselves would0 have to be complicit in pushing some of these athletes along. I imagine it's a much easier narrative to blame it on Professor N and Debbie Crowder than own up to it.

If Prof N ever testifies in court. . .it's Katie bar the door. Unless he cops a deal, the shit will hit the fan because that guy is not taking the fall for everyone. I guarantee you that.

Last edited:
Wake was small enough that I had athletes in my classes at time. Wake expects a lot of class interaction. They weren't stand outs but you could tell they were trying. I would have been able to roughly comment on their abilities.

so you take a huge lecture class with a student athlete at UNC and that qualifies you to decide his/her academic abilities? Gotcha

While I've never taken classes at UNC, I did take some at ECU (roughly the same size) and most were big enough there was no way to know who was an idiot and who wasn't.

These poor folks at UNC who lived so long in their Ivory Tower are seeing it all fall apart. It must hurt to not be able to play that smug superiority card anymore. Damaging to the psyche.

Using graduation rates to prove the point is ridiculous when you consider that the school was offering up a steady diet of no show paper classes and unauthorized grade changes to get the athletes where they needed them to be. Of course they graduated. It was a foregone conclusion from the minute they stepped foot on campus.

By the way Christy, Mike McAdoo disagrees with you. The kid is smart enough to know that he got cheated of an education.

This guy is an embarrassment. Of the hundreds of athletes at UNC, how many constitute "a number"? If the media reported a bank robbery, would they be disperaging the customers of the bank? And his "I think for the most part" line should be used in the context of "I think drunk driver is OK because I've haven't been killed by one yet". A fine example of a quality education that you get at Chapel Hole.

Is there any legit reason why UNC hasn't been given the so-called death penalty?

Ummm.... no. They've been cheating academically for over two decades!

By the way, why are they still even ranked at all in USN&WR?

It is unconstitutional to give the death penalty to the mentally handicapped. I guess that's what is holding back the NCAA.

Somebody needs to throw him under the bus. He hid all this mess, just as many Tar Heel execs have for years. At least Chancellor Folt is coming out and admitting it.
You're ire is misplaced.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/28/us/ncaa-athletes-unc/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- The University of North Carolina failed some of its students "for years" by allowing them to take classes that did not match its own academic standards, Chancellor Carol Folt has admitted.

The concession -- the strongest since UNC-Chapel Hill was caught up in a fake-class scandal two years ago -- comes just weeks after a CNN investigation found continuing problems at UNC and other public universities where some student-athletes could read only at an elementary school level.

“We’ve really profoundly changed the admissions system for student athletes,” he said, adding it should lead to higher standards. “My guess is, in the future, we’ll probably be more likely to not admit students we should admit.” :rolleyes:

Yeah, like that Dwight Jones dude you had a few years ago that was too stoopid to get in at klempsum

Dean urged the faculty to have hope that UNC will recover from its recent setbacks, quoting the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

“Even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream.” :rolleyes:

Fuck you, you self-entitled asshole. How dare you compare your trying to cheat at sports with one of the greatest men in American history.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/28/us/ncaa-athletes-unc/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- The University of North Carolina failed some of its students "for years" by allowing them to take classes that did not match its own academic standards, Chancellor Carol Folt has admitted.

The concession -- the strongest since UNC-Chapel Hill was caught up in a fake-class scandal two years ago -- comes just weeks after a CNN investigation found continuing problems at UNC and other public universities where some student-athletes could read only at an elementary school level.

Nothing really new in this CNN report but it's additional embarrassing coverage from the national media:

UNC: We failed students 'for years'
By Sara Ganim, CNN
updated 7:59 PM EST, Tue January 28, 2014

Beat you. :)

@PackPride: Uh oh RT @JudgeBobOrr: HBO's Real Sports production crew on UNC campus today. Not covering the indoor track meet.

Whatever...does Carolina really expect the rest of us believe they are interested in finding the truth. Likely, the "new information" from the DA points to Prof N as the rogue culprit.

Back