• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Carolina BBall & FBall Players Can't Read Very Well

"We don't hire them to go to class. We want 'em to win championships."

The response from butthurt UNC fans is going to be epic. I've got my popcorn ready.

Unfortunately it's not just Carolina. I am a middle school teacher. I see how kids get passed to the next grade without even being able to write their own names. Our educational institution is so ass backwards here. You would be amazed at what you see on a day to day basis as a teacher. In other countries, if a student doesn't master the material they hold them back until the master it. Here, it doesn't matter. They are moving on to the next grade NO MATTER WHAT.

LOL at UNC. This stuff blowing up nationally has been a long time coming for them. If the NCAA won't punish them, having the "Carolina Way" absolutely destroyed is nearly as good.

Unfortunately it's not just Carolina. I am a middle school teacher. I see how kids get passed to the next grade without even being able to write their own names. Our educational institution is so ass backwards here. You would be amazed at what you see on a day to day basis as a teacher. In other countries, if a student doesn't master the material they hold them back until the master it. Here, it doesn't matter. They are moving on to the next grade NO MATTER WHAT.

I used to teach in secondary school away back when. I remember the same problem. The solution: flunk 'em, if they don't learn the material. For many it will come as a shock. That's life. Sooner or later everyone has to confront wake-up time. They wont get serious about studying unless they see that you are serious.

"We asked UNC to comment specifically on Mary Willingham's research and they told us they were not aware of it, and that it wasn't part of her job to do research. But then we showed them emails between Willingham and university officials that show she had approval to conduct the research and shared her findings with university officials. UNC then told CNN they plan to meet with her to discuss what she found. "

"the culture war is real. i told you so. we were going down a bad path and as you are seeing now at other universities we did not want to be a part of that culture."
-ron wellman

"can you point to any specific evidence to support..."

"la la la i can't hear you. culture. la la historical competitiveness. la la la not going to destroy our values."

Opinion, a kid that can only read at an 8th grade level should not be allowed to play college athletics.

This thread started before 4 o'clock and has only 12 replies. Just proof that we all know UNC is a bunch of cheaters and we just don't even care any more.

Borderline criminal that UNC hasn't gotten significantly punished yet.

Opinion, a kid that can only read at an 8th grade level should not be allowed to play college athletics.

Well, obviously not since he shouldn't be allowed to enroll in college.

Seriously, I have known some very good students who were denied entrance into UNC; yet people without academic qualifications are permitted to enter because they can dribble a basketball!

I realize this is an old debate. I am not opposed to lowering the standard for certain exceptional cases; but there must be some requirements. The ability to read at a high school level you would expect to be one.

Well, obviously not since he shouldn't be allowed to enroll in college.

Seriously, I have known some very good students who were denied entrance into UNC; yet people without academic qualifications are permitted to enter because they can dribble a basketball!

I realize this is an old debate. I am not opposed to lowering the standard for certain exceptional cases; but there must be some requirements. The ability to read at a high school level you would expect to be one.

Or middle school or even elementary school apparently.

Back