• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Help Me Understand How We've Improved Character

Seriously, what were the problems which had to be corrected?
IMO for Wellman....it was all about Dino. His style, his affect on players, his fit with the administration. That's why he was the ONLY thing replaced by Wellman despite having the best regular season record of any Wake coach. I wouldn't be surprised to find out Wellman egged on the media to trash Dino his last year. Actions speak way louder than words.

Well, no current player has beat up their baby momma. That is a plus in the improved character corner.

Of course the athletic department was active in trying to get Wood's penalty reduced and wanted him to come back regardless. But, that's not important.

Different type of character issues now. We have no ability to withstand adversity. We play like vaginas on the road.

That was just "kids being kids", according to deaconson.

Happened under bzz and as has been stated AD wanted him back. Business as usual for Welman.

For the record not one person here felt it was OK myself included.

Yeah that confuses me. Especially since the largest voice in sports media hired Dino to work for them.

Media have bashed the state of the program before Bz but not Dino himself.

My favorite Buzz story was when he told the media about going out to dinner and the players tried to eat the steak with their hands. He had to show them how to use a knife and fork or some shit. He made it sound like his job was convert the "missing link" into humans.

Yeah that confuses me. Especially since the largest voice in sports media hired Dino to work for them.
Dino's basic ability to coach was absolutely questioned during some game commentary, mirroring the complaints of the "DinoOut" crowd on these boards. I'll never forget it. The people who felt that way used the comments as proof that people "that knew coaching" saw the same thing as they did..maybe someone will admit it. The schtick at the time was...Dino wasn't very smart and the cross-eyed picture would appear like clockwork. Then when Dino started doing commentary on ESPN some were stunned that he actually understood the game.

The media comments were somewhat uncharacteristic as well given his success in the regular season. I never understood them, but if Wellman is using the media as a way to support Bz, which most on here think, then it probably worked before.

Have not changed character. College kids have always made mistakes and will continue to do so. Only change is that Wellman now allows those mistakes to leak out when it serves his need to blame Dino to prop up Bz. Previously he would keep them quiet to protect the kids and wake like every other big time program. Current students and insiders have said nothing has changed. Kids will be kids and all that.

QFT.

There are currently, and have been the last three years, issues with players on Bz's teams. Serious stuff. Legal issues. Have they been publicly made available? No. Were similar things publicly aired to further an AD agenda a couple of years prior? You betcha.

Folks that keep trumpeting the "culture change" crap are either ill-informed or have ulterior motivation ... or both.

DBTH.

QFT.

There are currently, and have been the last three years, issues with players on Bz's teams. Serious stuff. Legal issues. Have they been publicly made available? No. Were similar things publicly aired to further an AD agenda a couple of years prior? You betcha.

Folks that keep trumpeting the "culture change" crap are either ill-informed or have ulterior motivation ... or both.

DBTH.
:popcorn:

QFT.

DBTH.

Wow.

I maintain that, someday after Bz is gone, I'm going to somehow, despite the fact that I've never met him, get Baby rip roaring hammered and coerce the true story of the Bz era out of him.

I think it's absolutely disgusting how Dino has been treated since he got fired. He wasn't a great coach but he's gotten absolutely shit on.

I agree. I think Skip Prosser would find it disgusting also.

QFT.

DBTH.

Nailed it.

Back