• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Help Me Understand How We've Improved Character

my problem is I do not know what needed to be improved. I assume there was some question of the quality of characters of Dino's recruits. Were there issues with Teague, Smith, Johnson, Aminu, as well as Woods?

Holy Sheet....really hope you're kidding with this.

If not, sincerely hope you were on a mission assignment in the middle of the South Pole or something 4-5 years ago to explain this.

Yeah I don't remember any TV commentators saying that kind of stuff. Not denying it, just don't remember a lot of that. Of course I was at about every home game during that period as well because 61-31 is better than....
During the second half of the ACC part of the schedule a few commentators made those types of comments...and IIRC Vitale was one of them. It was someone pretty well known. The more recent comments like "Rome wasn't built in a day" make me wonder if Wellman wasn't behind it back then.

The big things I remember that the Dinoouters latched onto.

Somebody overheard Larry Brown in an airport saying we were the worst coached team EVAR!!!!!!!!!!

Some writer tweeting that we were poorly coached in the Miami ACC tourney game.

I wish there was an ignore button for all things Bobby Knight. I am so sick of having to tilt my wrist a few ticks and scroll past the hundreds of fucking Bobby Knight posts every week. I cannot wait until they bury this guy ass up and we can wax poetic for one last week and be fucking done with him. At least on here. A Wake Forest sports board that has zero connection to Knight, his staff, his players, anybody related to Indiana or Texas Tech basketball over the last 25 years.

Holy Sheet....really hope you're kidding with this.

If not, sincerely hope you were on a mission assignment in the middle of the South Pole or something 4-5 years ago to explain this.

Can't help that I don't know all the background stories. I was present when star players smoked grass before a big game. I had a fun time running star players all over campus and Winston-Salem looking for matching copy paper so they could cheat on an exam. I seem to recall a player suddenly being benched because the coach caught him with his daughter. I've heard Bob Staak drank and chased co-eds. There was a story of a player pulling a knife on another teammate in the Pit, but I think the knife was a butter knife.

So, we have had players and coaches who were not 5 star quality characters for decades. What was going on during the Dino years that was so much more appauling?

The bartenders at Village Tavern wore black armbands after Staak got canned.

I can't speak to our former players but I know our former coaches are winning without compromising values. Frank Haith and Tim Fuller are doing great things at Missouri.

I wish there was an ignore button for all things Bobby Knight. I am so sick of having to tilt my wrist a few ticks and scroll past the hundreds of fucking Bobby Knight posts every week. I cannot wait until they bury this guy ass up and we can wax poetic for one last week and be fucking done with him. At least on here. A Wake Forest sports board that has zero connection to Knight, his staff, his players, anybody related to Indiana or Texas Tech basketball over the last 25 years.

You can ignore bkf (as I have done), but I still end up seeing half his posts because people quote them. The only way to make it stop is to put him on ignore and stop responding when he hijacks threads. I wish he would get banished to his own thread like KA did, but there are apparently enough people that still like bkf to keep him out of that.

Fuller had nothing to do the that Miami stuff right? Wasn't he at Louisville when all that went down?

Fuller had nothing to do the that Miami stuff right? Wasn't he at Louisville when all that went down?

I don't think he did. As I understand it, he has a reputation that would preclude him from being considered for a position at Wake, though. Deman alluded to this on his sandbox board.

I have no idea if the reputation is warranted. I believe he was a player and DBO during Wellman's tenure. Haith was an assistant during Wellman's tenure.

Last edited:
Fuller committed a recruiting violation that took us out if the running for a transfer if I remember correctly.

I'd pay a pretty large sum to know what the hidden incidents BabyDeac is referring to.

Yeah. Contacted him early or something like that. He was a very young assistant at the time. I'd hope that wouldn't rule him out from coming back here.

I've heard the comments about improving the character of Wake Forest basketball as the main mission of Bzzz... my problem is I do not know what needed to be improved. I assume there was some question of the quality of characters of Dino's recruits. Were there issues with Teague, Smith, Johnson, Aminu, as well as Woods? Granted in a day when one super stud or two and certainly three NBA talents can win a national title, Wake had three first round picks and someone who signed as a free agent and couldn't get past the first round, so there were problems.

Woods domestic problems are well documented. But, who else represented the non-character of Wake athletes? We've had a heroin dealer in the past; I can remember many of our star players smoking dope before a game with UNC; I seem to recall one player pulling a knife (perhaps cafeteria in grade) on another during an argument and DUI has taken on a new importance (we use to be able to drink on campus and didn't have to drive)...

Seriously, what were the problems which had to be corrected?

Wait. WHAT!!!??!??

Then we have a much bigger problem than culture on our basketball team. Drinking and making stupid mistakes is an important part of the college experience. Doing it on campus in a more controlled environment is safer than having to drive off campus to party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then we have a much bigger problem than culture on our basketball team. Drinking and making stupid mistakes is an important part of the college experience. Doing it on campus in a more controlled environment is safer than having to drive off campus to party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like our character now.

Back