• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Better Call Saul" series finale Monday, August 15 (new Odenkirk show on AMC)

so the mobile phone store is the genesis of the burner phones. BCS does the character-gimmick origin story way better than Solo

also let's just rename it Better Call Mike

Enjoyed the parallel between Mike and Jesse calling out their respective support groups.

the BB Easter eggs are amazing...saw a commentator on the AV Club recap say that the woman who met Mike at the diner (can't remember her name) had a nametag for the bank where Mike would eventually keep his safety deposit boxes for his granddaughter and crew

You know who else uses Cradock Marine Bank? Fox Mulder, that's who.

The gun scene with the cousins reminded me of the Billy Bob Thornton office scene in Fargo. You almost have to suspend belief those guys could go in there and kill 10-15 people armed with automatic weapons. If the Salamanca's just retreat, where does Nacho go from here? Does he have to start working for Tuco? It's not like Gus is going to call the cartel and offer a trade. You give me Nacho and I will give him protection and a piece of the drugs he sells along with a 15% discount at all participating Los Pollo Hermanos.

So much going on in that episode, I might need to watch it again. I knew the shoebox in the cold open meant something, but I needed to read a few recaps to remember that Gene pulled a videotape out of it in one of the previous season's flash-forwards.

I can't help but wonder how in the hell Gus decided it was a good idea to get involved with Walter White, given how cautious and deliberate he is with literally every other decision. That said, I loved the "ditch the high tech, cocky French guy for the low-tech cautious German guy" move.

Whatever happens to Kim, it's going to be hard AF to watch.

Somewhat unrelated - immediately after watching this episode, we switched over to another channel and saw Gus' partner Max - well, the actor that plays him - in a Verizon commercial. So there's that.

So much going on in that episode, I might need to watch it again. I knew the shoebox in the cold open meant something, but I needed to read a few recaps to remember that Gene pulled a videotape out of it in one of the previous season's flash-forwards.

I can't help but wonder how in the hell Gus decided it was a good idea to get involved with Walter White, given how cautious and deliberate he is with literally every other decision. That said, I loved the "ditch the high tech, cocky French guy for the low-tech cautious German guy" move.

Whatever happens to Kim, it's going to be hard AF to watch.

Somewhat unrelated - immediately after watching this episode, we switched over to another channel and saw Gus' partner Max - well, the actor that plays him - in a Verizon commercial. So there's that.

I was thinking he ditched the Frenchie because he was talking about building a tunnel out of Mexico, and therefore realized the guy had loose lips and news may get back to the cartel.

I think it was both plus the loose lips in general. Can’t have that guy bragging about the superlab down the road.

I was thinking he ditched the Frenchie because he was talking about building a tunnel out of Mexico, and therefore realized the guy had loose lips and news may get back to the cartel.

yeah, 'zackly

I took at as less direct, more like "I know a thing or two about building tunnels to Mexico and this guy is full of shit." "That's what I thought." Done.

I think they just sniffed that guy out as a fraud, then the 2nd guy being far more thorough and realistic about the job served to highlight how correct that judgment was.

Any of those explanation for ditching the first guy make sense.

580653_850188857623_982350519_n.jpg

Would anyone else object to living in that warehouse bunker for a few weeks? I guess being surrounded by a bunch of Germans would be a drag.

are they not allowed outside at all? I get not having the house and the activities outside, but are they entirely shut in?

Seems like it. I assume they have no idea where they are. They’re living a significant distance from the site. They will probably be taken back and forth with their heads covered.

I wasn’t asking to see how the Superlab was constructed but I’m definitely interested.

saw it pointed out that Jimmy has 10 months until he gets his license back, and Mike said to Gus that the lab construction was supposed to take 6 months, but probably 8 or 10. that number seems significant, but I dunno for what since Gus and Saul never met formally.

Seems like it. I assume they have no idea where they are. They’re living a significant distance from the site. They will probably be taken back and forth with their heads covered.

I wasn’t asking to see how the Superlab was constructed but I’m definitely interested.

My only fear with this storyline is it ends up just being a distraction/busywork to help prop up the Mike/Gus relationship. I have enough confidence in this creative team that this won't be the case, but it's always a possibility.

Thinking about the Gus timeline as it pertains to Walt. Gus likely wouldn't be able to let a brand new superlab sit for months on end, so I think we have to assume that he hired Walt to work with Gale relatively soon after the completion of construction. Walt cooked with Jesse for several months before he encountered Gus, so in terms of timing, we have to be nearing the cancer diagnosis, unless I'm missing something.

My only fear with this storyline is it ends up just being a distraction/busywork to help prop up the Mike/Gus relationship. I have enough confidence in this creative team that this won't be the case, but it's always a possibility.

Thinking about the Gus timeline as it pertains to Walt. Gus likely wouldn't be able to let a brand new superlab sit for months on end, so I think we have to assume that he hired Walt to work with Gale relatively soon after the completion of construction. Walt cooked with Jesse for several months before he encountered Gus, so in terms of timing, we have to be nearing the cancer diagnosis, unless I'm missing something.

Walt was cooking while Gale finished setting up the lab at least (flashback in S4 shows this). Gus had a sample of Walt's product for Gale to test, not sure if he got it off the street or if it was part of the batch that Walt sold them prior to officially working for Gus. I assume it's the former because I'm sure Gus wouldn't buy a big batch of product without knowing its quality first.

Walt was cooking while Gale finished setting up the lab at least (flashback in S4 shows this). Gus had a sample of Walt's product for Gale to test, not sure if he got it off the street or if it was part of the batch that Walt sold them prior to officially working for Gus. I assume it's the former because I'm sure Gus wouldn't buy a big batch of product without knowing its quality first.

They could slow down the lab construction with a war between Gus and the Cartel. Kai is the first one killed.

Back