• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Better Call Saul" series finale Monday, August 15 (new Odenkirk show on AMC)

Love that they dedicated an entire episode to Mike. The pacing of this show - so far - has been superb.

Also, I'm pretty sure the guy that played the younger Philly cop also played Teabag's bitch in Prison Break. So there's that.

I've been waiting for that episode for years and it did not disappoint. Now my worry for this series is, how do you top that???

I have no worries. These guys have earned my unquestioned trust.

I have no worries. These guys have earned my unquestioned trust.

This. I'm more and more confident that Gus will play a major role in this show. When did Gus start Pollos Hermanos?

This. I'm more and more confident that Gus will play a major role in this show. When did Gus start Pollos Hermanos?

I hope that's the case. He deserved the Emmy that year so I hope he gets another shot at one.

this season they should have Saul meeting a client at Pollos or at least have someone drinking from a cup at some point or something like that

This week's episode about Mike's past was the best of the season by far. Last week's with the silly stories about Jimmy/Saul visiting the weird clients was the worst.

Others have said, and I agree, that this show really needs to decide what it is. Is it a "prequel" for "Breaking Bad" with similar plot lines? or is it just a vehicle for Bob Odenkirk to try to milk the Saul Goodman character, who was entertaining in "Breaking Bad" but never more than occasional comic relief.

This week's episode showing how Mike got to Albuquerque was great, because it was an obvious prequel to Breaking Bad. Hope to see many more. If this show just stays in the mode of letting Bob Odenkirk mug for the camera, I will be giving up on it.

I have some of the same reservations FreeState has. I haven't been wowed so far like most of this thread has, I guess. Seems like an offbrand Breaking Bad. Mike's best scene in either series acting-wise was kinda stepped on by the writing that took it about 90 seconds too long (when he's crying to his daughter in law).

This week's episode about Mike's past was the best of the season by far. Last week's with the silly stories about Jimmy/Saul visiting the weird clients was the worst.

Others have said, and I agree, that this show really needs to decide what it is. Is it a "prequel" for "Breaking Bad" with similar plot lines? or is it just a vehicle for Bob Odenkirk to try to milk the Saul Goodman character, who was entertaining in "Breaking Bad" but never more than occasional comic relief.

This week's episode showing how Mike got to Albuquerque was great, because it was an obvious prequel to Breaking Bad. Hope to see many more. If this show just stays in the mode of letting Bob Odenkirk mug for the camera, I will be giving up on it.

I don't think those two are mutually exclusive.

I'm very far behind, Monday has been a busy night the last few weeks so I haven't really been able to watch after episode 2. Not trying to read through the thread at the risk of spoilers but is everybody still feeling pretty good about the show?

Definitely worth watching.

No spoilers, but I'll say the show needs to find a way to up the ante for me. I may be a unique case because people seem to really like it, I guess.

But one issue with a prequel is that you know what will eventually happen to the characters. Like that they'll still be alive. And that Saul will change his name and become a "criminal" attorney.

Michael McKean's character is awesome, the stuff with the big law firm is interesting, Mike is the man, etc.

It would probably be a better show without the ties to Breaking Bad for me, because for all the callbacks, all the stylistic similarities, everything, I find myself comparing it to the much, much better original.

I think there's a difference between a show not knowing what it wants to be and one that offers up a lot of diametrically opposed episodes, characters, and themes. Saul waded through the Breaking Bad world of murder, betrayal, and risk with the same kind of levity you get in bigger doses here. I think the show's use of color, humor, and even some of its stereotyping is pretty intelligent. You've got the rich lawyer, the crazy relative, the embittered philly cop... Then you have the path of Slippin' Jimmy. I think having the talking toilet scene one day and a dark murder the next is what makes the show work. And when the two angles collide it's been pretty great so far.

You ruin the show if you dump the levity or the drama. When I heard they were doing a Saul spin-off I didn't think it would work - why take a goof instead of someone like Gus? But I think they're pulling it off, and until GoT arrives it's topping the weekly list of stuff to watch for me.

It's the story of how Saul and Mike broke bad.

Back