• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Better Call Saul" series finale Monday, August 15 (new Odenkirk show on AMC)

Thanks all very helpful. I was digging the show and I felt like it was really starting to heat up some. I watched through the Tuco in the desert episode and loved seeing Tuco again because I love that character. Defiantly will have to find it online and get caught up.

That was another great episode. The pacing is just incredible on this show.

That was another great episode. The pacing is just incredible on this show.

Once again I missed it but Vince is a fucking genius when it comes to this. The pacing of BB was par none and I'm assuming he did just as good a job on pacing on Better Call Saul.

What gets me is that it does a great job building off something that happened in the previous episode that was important but likely would be an isolated event on any other show.

Chuck going outside to get the paper set up his arrest and hospitalization.

Mike swiping the pad set up that amazing camera shot of the wanted posters panning down to Saul through the conversation between Mike and the older Philly cop.

I didn't watch Breaking Bad as it aired so I really appreciate the pacing within and between episodes from week to week.

By the way, I saw somewhere else that one of the men in the wanted poster was the guy in the diner bathroom with Saul. I didn't go back to confirm. Who knows, that guy may be part of a major plot next week.

Mike swiping the pad set up that amazing camera shot of the wanted posters panning down to Saul through the conversation between Mike and the older Philly cop.
By the way, I saw somewhere else that one of the men in the wanted poster was the guy in the diner bathroom with Saul. I didn't go back to confirm. Who knows, that guy may be part of a major plot next week.

I was going to guess that everyone in the wanted posters were actual wanted people in Albuquerque but that makes way more sense.

Once again I missed it but Vince is a fucking genius when it comes to this. The pacing of BB was par none and I'm assuming he did just as good a job on pacing on Better Call Saul.

Not to nitpick but Vince only wrote/directed the first ep of Better Call Saul so far.

I know, Ph. And I know that even if he isn't given director or writer credit for a given episode he has editorial and creative oversight for that showrunner role. I don't know exactly what hand he's had in the "pacing" of the show, just adding a bit of information to the mix. I don't know if showrunner does storyboarding in a conventional sense the same way that writer/producer teams typically do, and I don't know what kind of showrunner Vince Gilligan is. I'm sure there's a bunch of information out there about Vince Gilligan that BB/BCS fanboys all know already. Again, just providing some information.

He's not the only driving force behind the way the episodes look (this is typically the DP and art director) or how they're paced (storyboard team is typically writers, producers, and "story" team).

I fall asleep during every episode of this. Too bad, I want to like it.

Townie, I think the showrunner is in charge. He was in charge of BB and is one of the people in charge here. The tone and pace are similar. He gets credit. He hires everybody who executed his vision.

townie has decided that better call saul isn't good. let it go.

I keep calling every damn plot point and I'm not a savvy TV/film guy who's good at that stuff. It's prey to the Breaking Bad comparison in my head. I read a review saying it's had a better start than BB and I think that's absurd. The first two eps of BB are damn near perfect.

Anyway I'll keep my thoughts to myself for a while.

It's good TV. Nowhere near perfect but it's quality and especially compared to what's on right now. It's no BB but that's not even a real criticism. A huge part of what made BB great though was Gilligan's aesthetic thumbprint on the show, and BCS has that same great look. Nothing else looked like BB, and I get that same vibe here. And IMO worrying about plot points is a facile way to consume a show and ultimately a secondary part of what makes a good narrative. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course.

i like mrs kettleman

zuSAJSC.jpg

It's good TV. Nowhere near perfect but it's quality and especially compared to what's on right now. It's no BB but that's not even a real criticism. A huge part of what made BB great though was Gilligan's aesthetic thumbprint on the show, and BCS has that same great look. Nothing else looked like BB, and I get that same vibe here. And IMO worrying about plot points is a facile way to consume a show and ultimately a secondary part of what makes a good narrative. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course.
This. Plus, let the show establish itself before throwing it to the wolves or writing it off as less than BB. #hottake, but it seems like streaming has kind of thrown off expectations, especially for folks who didn't watch TV until recently. There's plenty of time for BCS to improve or decline, but it's shown a lot of promise so far.

Thought the 5 min or so scene with no dialogue where mike is staking out the kettlemans house was excellent.

Back