• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Better Call Saul" series finale Monday, August 15 (new Odenkirk show on AMC)

Official "Better Call Saul" thread (season finale tonight)

And a Georgia O'Keeffe reference

Liked the finale. However, I did not feel it was one of the better episodes of the season.

Disappointing episode. The Slippin' Jimmy relapse ran too long. Hard to care about Marco's death. Jimmy's turn was sudden. He didn't seem like he was ready to go full Slippin. I was looking forward to seeing how Jimmy messed up his shot in a legit firm.

They really needed to explore the Jimmy/Kim relationship more to close the season out. Having her betray him would have been a better conclusion.

Disappointing episode. The Slippin' Jimmy relapse ran too long. Hard to care about Marco's death. Jimmy's turn was sudden. He didn't seem like he was ready to go full Slippin. I was looking forward to seeing how Jimmy messed up his shot in a legit firm.

I agree. For how plodding the season was (in a good way), his turn was too quick (even in relation to the episode as a whole).

I agree with the previous posts in that this was a pretty disappointing finale. I get the whole "Slippin Jimmy" can never change his ways, but it was as though he worked for years to get exactly what he wanted, only to throw it away over the course of a day, or at most, a week. They could have easily had him go from the second to last episode to Slippin Jimmy without swinging the bait of the ridiculously lucrative offer that he turned down. It wouldn't have been great, but I think it would have been better.

I guess this is the bar the writers have set for themselves.

So many BB references/allusions: Belize, the Kevin Costner line, the parking lot slow-walk filmed from behind the actor. I even got a little giddy seeing Jimmy in a musty basement in his skivvies (a la the penultimate BB ep when he's hiding in The Disappear's basement).

I thought this was a great wrap to an excellent season, as well as a great primer for next season. The Marco montage was flat-out fun, and his death creates a wonderful what-if for the Jimmy character. To wit: he gets arrested, gets bailed out by his stuffed-shirt brother, tries to make good of himself for a decade in a new place, gets dicked over by the same brother, goes on a bender (of sorts) with an old pal, but realizes he still wants to make good of his life. So what if Marco doesn't bite it in the alley? Does Jimmy play the straight-man permanently? Or does it just delay the inevitable? Either way, Gilligan and Gould have woven an intriguing tale that is connected enough to BB to be fun, but separate enough to not feel recycled.

And the fact that Mike just happened to be there for his epiphany is the icing on the cake.

And Saul wears Marco's ring throughout the series.

I think people are missing the point of the Bingo scene if you think Jimmy reverted back to his old self in a day or if the process was too fast.

Getting crushed at every turn early in the season. Getting rejected by Kim when he tried to lease the office. Believing he'd been betrayed by Kim and the big firm. Finally digging up a career case only to have to give it away. Chuck betraying him. Telling Kim he was ok with it...

Then he snaps. He believed Chuck was proud of him - when the B's keep rolling and he has a complete meltdown - that's when he gives up the 10 years of trying and reverts back to Slippin' Jimmy. The entire season is about Chuck and how Jimmy was trying to do the right thing because Chuck saved him.

The rest of the episode is just Jimmy figuring that out. Going back home, running scams, avoiding all his calls - it all points that way. He just doesn't realize until he's offered a clean road to legitimacy that it isn't for him.

The close with Mike was great, because Mike knows himself so well. It's like the last shove Jimmy needs to be sure he's doing the right thing for himself. The only thing I didn't love about the episode was the predictability of the death of his friend and that his exit from the awesome opportunity was so inevitable (and ended up just being another Jimmy realization). But it wouldn't really fit with his character to be forced into it instead of making a conscious choice, so oh well.

Still a solid season for a show I had low expectations for. The bingo scene was pretty great stuff.

Official "Better Call Saul" thread (season finale tonight)

The close with Mike was great, because Mike knows himself so well. It's like the last shove Jimmy needs to be sure he's doing the right thing for himself. The only thing I didn't love about the episode was the predictability of the death of his friend and that his exit from the awesome opportunity was so inevitable (and ended up just being another Jimmy realization). But it wouldn't really fit with his character to be forced into it instead of making a conscious choice, so oh well..

This is more of what I meant. In terms of episode pacing it unfolded too quickly for me when compared with the pacing of the other episodes and events.

I liked it. Showrunner said in a Hitfix interview that they actually had planned for Jimmy to become Saul at the end of the season, but they kept coming up with more stories - and they actually like Jimmy better. Interested to see where this goes for season 2.

Excited to see where this all goes. I'm not even worried about the direction of the show. It's all good, man.

agree with much of what dc said. i had low expectations coming off of breaking bad (great catch about the ring) but they really created a new vibe for a show that could easily have been a direct rip off and thus inferior version of it self.

don't forget it wasn't just finding out chuck screwed him out of his case it was that chuck screwed him behind his back for 10 years while smiling in his face and using him nurse his crazy every day for a year.

i would say that the finale was a little disappointing because i thought the second to last episode was much better. that was usually the case with bb as well.

i did not expect jimmy to make the complete heel turn driving away at the end. i expected jimmy to come back to new mexico, take the big firm job but begin his decent slowly. taking a bribe here, using mike for some dirty work to save a client there. little things that grow and end up costing him his firm job (maybe they find out something and let him "resign" so there is not some embarrassing blow up. he could still work the sandpiper case in the background of the show but so much of that work would be done by others it could just hang over things in the background as he heads toward changing his name. heck he could change his name after the embarrassment of getting kicked out of his big time law job and starts his own criminal law firm.

i think i just wrote the treatment for season two. give me a call vince i am available!

the creators are masters with pacing.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought Season 2 would be after he got the call from Kim. Still could be. Season 2 could start with him turning back around into the parking deck.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought Season 2 would be after he got the call from Kim. Still could be. Season 2 could start with him turning back around into the parking deck.

Whoa whoa whoa. .. stop trying to undercut me in my new job!

That would be the worst, not to mention completely out of character for Gilligan. I don't know if we'll see Saul in episode 1 of season 2. I think it will be more of a slow burn evolution, now that Jimmy has made the decision.

Overall, I'm also curious to see the ultimate destination (Belize?) for Kim, Chuck, and Howard, since they're likely not a part of Saul's life when he meets Walt.

Back