• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Better Call Saul" series finale Monday, August 15 (new Odenkirk show on AMC)

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought Season 2 would be after he got the call from Kim. Still could be. Season 2 could start with him turning back around into the parking deck.

THEN he would turn around AGAIN to go have a coffee with Mike. THEN he would go back to the courthouse to show up late for the meeting, you know, Hollywood it up a little bit. THEN he would storm off while shooting them the double bird. THEN he would be all like, "jk jk, where do I sign?"

DRAMA.

THEN he would turn around AGAIN to go have a coffee with Mike. THEN he would go back to the courthouse to show up late for the meeting, you know, Hollywood it up a little bit. THEN he would storm off while shooting them the double bird. THEN he would be all like, "jk jk, where do I sign?"

DRAMA.

That's two awesome episodes right there. Especially when you notice Lydia opening a Stevia packet in the background while Jimmy and Mike have coffee.

That would be the worst, not to mention completely out of character for Gilligan. I don't know if we'll see Saul in episode 1 of season 2. I think it will be more of a slow burn evolution, now that Jimmy has made the decision.

Overall, I'm also curious to see the ultimate destination (Belize?) for Kim, Chuck, and Howard, since they're likely not a part of Saul's life when he meets Walt.

We won't see him that soon. Showrunner said they love Jimmy, and so he'll be sticking around for a while.

People thought we were getting Saul Goodman s01e01 and that was a big part of why there was so much trepidation. There's no reason to think now after they spent a whole season of building a great Jimmy McGill narrative that we snap into Saul s02e01.

In a way we're doing Mr.Chips to Scarface again. Walter White to Heisenberg. That transition was gradual and is what made the show great. And much in the way we got to see Walter try and fail so many times before he got good at being bad, we're going to see the same thing here.

And I think it'll be great because these dudes know what they're doing.

Well we're seeing Jimmy try and fail at being good. He realized he's very good at being bad. So what does that realization entail going forward?

Well we're seeing Jimmy try and fail at being good. He realized he's very good at being bad. So what does that realization entail going forward?

I'd say he wasn't bad at being good as much as the universe seemed to be against him being good. And he's a great con-man but that's a ways from being a great Saul.

I still see some great narrative steps between a fed up elder lawyer with a con-man's background to Saul; the lawyer of the biggest Albuquerque criminal networks with the know-how to run afoul of the law for all their needs.

My biggest problem with the finale was the length of time he spent in Chicago. I loved the con montage, I didn't think we needed the JFK half dollar scene to understand that, yes, Jimmy is a great con-man. But I still think being Saul is much more than being slippin' Jimmy with a law license.

But the universe wasn't against him. We skip the 10 years of hard work and meet Jimmy just a few months before he 1) gets his first break as a legit lawyer 2) stumbles on a massive case that will pay him millions 3) realizes only his brother was holding him down, and 4) gets the path to partner at a great firm handed to him. Sure, it's a tough road, but that's a success story by any measure. Especially considering his past.

He knows he's good at both. He succeeds at both. His realization with Mike is that his success being future Saul was real, just like his success being legit Jimmy was real. The truth is that Chuck is right. People don't change. Once Chuck bails he doesn't owe anyone anything.

How long do we think we have with this show? I don't know if I see it legitimately lasting more than three seasons, and I think that's a good thing.

Depends on how long the seasons are going to be.

yeah they're in I think 2002 so a few years to go to catch up to BB if they plan on going that far

The thought of the series finale's final scene makes me giddy. Perhaps it's a shot of Saul in the police building reviewing his slate of clients, and the camera zooms in on the name Brandon Mayhew.

I think the series is going to go beyond when Saul first appeared on Breaking Bad. I'm sure that wasn't the only thing going on at the time and there is probably some interesting back story to those encounters from his perspective.

One thing that I noticed this season that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere is not many scenes really showed off Albuquerque. I know it was filled there, but it didn't feature ABQ the way Breaking Bad did. I felt like a lot of scenes could have been filmed elsewhere. Not sure if that's because they had a tough time turning 2014 Albuquerque into 2002 Albuquerque or what.

yeah they're in I think 2002 so a few years to go to catch up to BB if they plan on going that far

This is what I'm trying to figure out. I know it's supposed to start a few years before BB, but the outfits and music for young slippin' Jimmy made it seem like the flashbacks were from the 70s. Then, following his threesome with the girls where he told them he was Kevin Costner, he does a Field Of Dreams (1989) reference. And really, Costner's apex of popularity was sometime in the 90s. I'm been trying to get clues from the cars too, but I'm no expert on those. The clothing seems fairly contemporary and not dated, even though he was watching Matlock for dress tips earlier in the season. Matlock has/had a pretty heavy syndication run, but had its regular run from the mid 80s-mid 90s. I'm not sure how old his character is supposed to be, but in real life Odenkirk was born in the early 60s.

So he's passed out in a bed in the living room with a chick and she gets pissed and goes to get her friend in another room and drags her away. Threesome. Got it. I'm sensing the "I understand how a threesome works" crowd is pretty small around here. ooops. They must have Skyped it from the other room.

Not to mention the other woman pointed back to the room she came from and said, "So he's not Kevin Costner's manager?"

But if that's what ELC and dv7 call a threesome, sure.

Back