• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Better Call Saul" series finale Monday, August 15 (new Odenkirk show on AMC)

The biggest probably being the money laundering he referred to in the phone call with Francesca.

should add that the scene with the divorce papers and then when Kim went outside and shared a smoke with Jesse was pretty telling too in terms of how Saul dealt with things, and how he too completely and irrevocably broke bad. Some is the corrupting influence of money, but ultimately he lost his anchor in Kim. Jesse asks Kim if Saul's "a good lawyer" and she takes a last drag, says "he was," and then runs to her car/away from Saul.

"Better Call Saul" series finale Monday, August 15

As that scene was unfolding I thought she was going to say something like, “I was a criminal lawyer. Sometimes you need a “criminal” lawyer.”
But I’m glad they resisted the urge to make her the origin of that line.

That scene exhibits the degree of difficulty of what they did with fitting a prequel show into a rich tapestry they already wove for BB. It could have seemed contrived especially while also bringing in Emilio but it worked.

Have we talked about the promo showing a car wreck and Saul calling the vacuum salesman?

Last edited:
wonder if Saul will try to call and find out he's dead like the actor in real life and realize how fucked he is

wonder if Saul will try to call and find out he's dead like the actor in real life and realize how fucked he is

Oh yeah. It would be peak dark comedy for someone to answer and say “That model has been discontinued. Can I interest you in another model? We also have a new Dyson that is popular.”

Oh yeah. It would be peak dark comedy for someone to answer and say “That model has been discontinued. Can I interest you in another model? We also have a new Dyson that is popular.”

some people had speculated that Carol Burnett was going to be vacuum guy's wife taking over the business, which obviously didn't happen. but that'd be a great twist if the store had been sold and is now just fully a legit vacuum store, with a bedroom in the basement for some reason.

Came to post this but about how they did Howard’s death.

https://youtu.be/X7jnkDQAWwk

It was cool going to the start of the thread and seeing early reactions to the announcement and the first two episodes.

I could see the last scene being Walt and Jesse walking into his practice for the first time

We got pretty close to this.

I really hope we get some Gus Fring on the show, even though Mike is the only one who knew him

Gus ended up being a major character.

yes. but it'd be like watching the Star Wars prequels before the original trilogy. what's the point?

I don't think that's the case at all.

You should watch Breaking Bad regardless though. One of the best decisions I've made over the last few years was catching up and sticking with it.

I’m surprised I was this on point that early. I’d probably tell someone to watch BCS first.

I like how the camera focused on Jimmy's reaction to the leg breaking. They may be setting up Jimmy as a pariah who manages to stay out of trouble himself but gets others into trouble in the process. Pretty much the opposite of what a lawyer is supposed to do.

Michelle McLaren directed this episode. She directed several Breaking Bad episodes as well. She was tabbed to direct Wonder Woman. I'm more excited about that than I would be otherwise.

That’s a good description of Jimmy’s whole storyline. He’s directly and indirectly responsible for a lot of death and pain but his only real consequence through the whole run of both shows was having to move to Omaha. We’ll see if he finally gets his.

This was a good take on Kim from the last episode.

https://screenrant.com/better-call-saul-kim-toothbrush-howard-hamlin-twist/

When Kim left Albuquerque, she quit being a lawyer due to Howard Hamlin's death, deciding she no longer deserved the privilege of practicing law. Better Call Saul season 6's "Waterworks" heavily implies that Kim deliberately found a job she hated, a man she felt nothing for, and friends she shared nothing in common with - all as a means of punishing herself for the Howard incident. This would also explain how Kim can so easily risk throwing her new life away by making her confession to Cheryl Hamlin. Whether she gets thrown in jail, sued by Howard's widow, or simply resumes life in Florida, she's paying dearly one way or another.

It also supports a "Florida is Hell on Earth" narrative.

Remind me to check the grocery store tomorrow to see if there is any Blue Bell Mint Chocolate Chip left.

Great episode. Didn't answer most of my questions, but I suppose that's why these people have a career as TV writers and I do not.

Bringing in Marie just for that performance was unnecessarily cruel, so I guess Gene was terrible right up until the moment he learned Kim confessed.

Gene/Saul/Jimmy still seemed unsure that Lalo was dead when he called Kim (or maybe it was Francesca, I forget), so he would have reason to fear violent reprisal inside prison. I suppose the bus chant was meant to reassure us/him that that was not a factor.

Still trying to figure out if Gene Takovic is an anagram. Seems like something the show runners might do, along the lines of the first letter of every episode title in season two spelling FRINGS BACK.

It’s tough to end a show in a satisfying way for everyone but I thought they landed it pretty well. The last few episodes had an El Camino feel to them with the other storylines being wrapped up early. It was a different pace and style but I enjoyed it.

Another great show, really held its own. Not sure if there’s more BB spin-offs in the pipeline but Saul ending really feels like the end of an era

The last episode was satisfying. Not as much as BB, but still in a way consistent with the show. I will miss this universe.

The last episode was satisfying. Not as much as BB, but still in a way consistent with the show. I will miss this universe.

It kind of bugged me that the only person who ends up doing time for the Meth empire is the lawyer, but that's probably better than how everyone else ended up. I kind of wanted it to end with him getting only 7.5 years, as a way to show that he still won against the government. I know he proved he could do it, and went to jail on his own terms in the end, but for some reason it doesn't sit right with me that he is going to spend the rest of his life in jail.

I think they wanted him to end up in a hell of his own making, kind of like The Shield finale which is still one of my all-time favorite finales for a despicable lead character (I can't call Vic Mackey an "anti-hero").

But confessing everything and only getting 7.5 years would be too much like The Shield finale. Also as the ep awkwardly acknowledges Saul is rightfully a hero in prison. It wouldn't be hell because 7.5 years being treated like a hero as a jailhouse lawyer would barely be punishment.

Hell of his own making is a little strong. The camera work when he was baking the bread in prison was a strong allusion to his working at Cinnabons, making us think of the life he was living in Nebraska. He was already living in a sort of prison being Gene, living a mundane life, and no longer being Saul, but now he is in actual prison, at least he can do it as Jimmy. He gets the respect and fame as Saul, but confessing about what he did to his brother makes him able to live with himself again.

Oh I agree. They wanted him to be in a hell of his own making, but couldn't quite find a way to get him there and get the punishment he deserved.

I think it was more powerful that he couldn't handle being Gene for more than 5 months. Once Jeff gave him an out, he took it.

Man, the finale of the Shield may be the best television ending ever.

I thought this ending hit the right note too.

They didn't have to give us an epilogue to this story. They could have just let us think Gene spent the rest of his life managing at Cinnabon and staying out of the public. They could have just ended Kim's story with the break-up. Glad they didn't.

Oh I agree. They wanted him to be in a hell of his own making, but couldn't quite find a way to get him there and get the punishment he deserved.

I think it was more powerful that he couldn't handle being Gene for more than 5 months. Once Jeff gave him an out, he took it.

I was struck when they pointed out that it was only 2 years from meeting walter white to getting arrested in nebraska for Saul. It seemed that like was a 15 year arc but it was really just a blip. Saul couldn't handle a mundane life as Gene in Nebraska for even a small amount of time. It seemed like a fair chunk of that time was spent learning Cornhusker football facts to use in a con too .

can't stop thinking that this was the last show i watch that actually airs on a tv station

Back