• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Better Call Saul" series finale Monday, August 15 (new Odenkirk show on AMC)

I'm a little concerned about this show. I feel like Saul's character was a welcome reprieve from the consistent, heart-wrenching, anxiety-producing gravitas of Breaking Bad. Whether they can make a show surrounding him that stands on its own two feet...I'm wary. Hope it's great.

There were a couple ancillary characters/plots that really intrigued me and made me want more (esp. NA meetings/recovery, which I think were generally treated with kid gloves compared to the rest of the violence of the show), but I'm just not sure Saul is one of them.

Who was involved in setting up this spinoff again?

Vince Gilligan and Breaking Bad writer/producer Peter Gould. They're both getting it to air and then Gould will take over.

I don't know if this show is going to have the same gravitas as Breaking Bad. It could be a combination of Saul handling day-to-day slip and falls, to establishing his relationship with Mike and other underworld figures. Could be an origin story. I've heard there will be some sequel elements to show where he ended up.

I read somewhere that jesse & walt might show up every now & then.

Yeah. Not sure how they'll pull that off. Makes more sense for Jesse than Walt. Jesse could have been involved with somebody who needed Saul's services.

So, based on the trailers, I assume this is meant to be set during the same time Breaking Bad was, and not a continuation of Saul's story after the final season of BB? Ehh, not sure this will work. Saul worked because he was believable only as a "sideshow" to the rest of BB. You assumed that his dealings with Walt were the absurd part of his day and the rest was just being a sleazy ambulance chaser. If his entire practice is as absurd (and it will need to be to keep people interested), it just won't be believable IMO.

Yeah. Not sure how they'll pull that off. Makes more sense for Jesse than Walt. Jesse could have been involved with somebody who needed Saul's services.

In the first appearance of Saul on BB ("Better Caul Saul," great ep), Jesse is the one who suggests what they need is a CRIMINAL lawyer, not a criminal lawyer. I would definitely be interested in some of those stories a bit more. I am in the tiny, tiny minority of people who think that BB excelled in spite of Gilligan rather than because of him. But I will take a wait and see approach with this, and try to be cautiously optimistic. I guess my predominant holdup is trying to follow up one of the best shows ever so soon with a spinoff.

So, based on the trailers, I assume this is meant to be set during the same time Breaking Bad was, and not a continuation of Saul's story after the final season of BB? Ehh, not sure this will work. Saul worked because he was believable only as a "sideshow" to the rest of BB. You assumed that his dealings with Walt were the absurd part of his day and the rest was just being a sleazy ambulance chaser. If his entire practice is as absurd (and it will need to be to keep people interested), it just won't be believable IMO.

What trailers? I don't think they've started production yet. I haven't heard any casting either.

What trailers? I don't think they've started production yet. I haven't heard any casting either.

Maybe trailers is the wrong word. The 30+ YouTube videos on the website...

That's from Breaking Bad, not the new show. The only new info (and all there is to know from what I've seen) is in the thread title.

Isn't it going to be a prequel? What he did before getting involved, not while involved or after

I've heard mostly prequel, some sequel. The show is 10 months away. There really isn't much but speculation.

I think Better Call Saul is going to be a comedy primarily where BB was primarily a drama with some dark comedic elements.

That's from Breaking Bad, not the new show. The only new info (and all there is to know from what I've seen) is in the thread title.

You can see how one might be confused, right? When you post the link with the thread title about a spinoff? :thumbsup:

I'm not sure how this will reconcile with Walt and Jesse appearing to know (in BB) nothing more about Saul than his ads on buses and benches. Did not appear they had any previous history at all.

In the first appearance of Saul on BB ("Better Caul Saul," great ep), Jesse is the one who suggests what they need is a CRIMINAL lawyer, not a criminal lawyer. I would definitely be interested in some of those stories a bit more. I am in the tiny, tiny minority of people who think that BB excelled in spite of Gilligan rather than because of him. But I will take a wait and see approach with this, and try to be cautiously optimistic. I guess my predominant holdup is trying to follow up one of the best shows ever so soon with a spinoff.

explain pls

explain pls

Think he's a brilliant show runner and producer, and a less than brilliant writer and director. Looking at the eps he wrote and directed, and they're not among the strongest of the series in my [humble, yet pretentious] opinion.

I'm apprehensive about the show but I know there will be multiple laugh out loud moments every episode.

"Clearly his taste in women is the same as his taste in lawyers: Only the very best, (voice drops) with just the right amount of dirty!" Gets me every time.

Back