• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Net Neutrality Dead?

Yeah we were discussing this on mehbe the cell phone thread yesterday.

It's not dead yet. This just says that the FCC can't regulate them unless they want to classify Verizon as a common carrier (and all the regulations that entails). If Verizon decides to start actually enforcing non-neutral policies all the FCC has to do is classify them as a common carrier (and Verizon most definitely does not want that). That's the way I'm reading it anyway.

Some years back, the FCC classified internet services as "information services" and not "telecommunications services." FCC has a lot of regulatory authority over telecommunications services but not much (by design) over information services. The simple (but not easy) way for net neutrality to return is for the FCC to reclassify internet as telecommunications. The political will for this to happen would be tremendous. This "nuclear option" which the internet service companies DO NOT want will keep net neutrality a reality for a while. Unless Congress acts and does something else. Hearing on a new revision to the Telecommunications Act are underway, but in very early stages. The Supreme Court has yet to weigh in on the issue.

Or throttling (or outright blocking it) to make you watch their own online offering.

The debate against net neutrality is barely a debate. It does tell you who is in whose pockets. Nobody wants the internet to be more like cable tv.

That will be a very interesting conflict to watch. which companies end up on each of this issue.

I'm out of a job if net neutrality dies without caveats for online retailers.

I read that at peak Netflix takes down as much as 20% of AT&T s bandwidth. They pay nothing for this.nit is completely unfair. The US is unlike any other market in telecom. It would cost $100 to download Avatar to your IPAD in Hong Kong. This was not sustainable. Been in the wind for a while.

Netflix is over as a business model now.

I read that at peak Netflix takes down as much as 20% of AT&T s bandwidth. They pay nothing for this.nit is completely unfair. The US is unlike any other market in telecom. It would cost $100 to download Avatar to your IPAD in Hong Kong. This was not sustainable. Been in the wind for a while.

lol

Even at 1cent per gigabyte this would wipe out Netflix profit

They pay nothing for it? How about the people who are paying AT&T so they can watch Netflix. It's not like they're donating their bandwidth

this is all tl;dr but will there still be free pr0n?

They pay nothing for it? How about the people who are paying AT&T so they can watch Netflix. It's not like they're donating their bandwidth

We are the only country that does not charge for bandwidth. Unsustainable model.

So this Michael Powell guy was the FCC Chairman in 2002, reclassified cable modems as 'information services' to limit the FCC's regulatory authority, and now he is one of the chief lobbyists for the cable TV industry (NCTA)? That's absurd. I know very little on this subject but it's hard to see how anyone other than Verizon and Comcast can be against net neutrality.

Until the rules are re-written so that internet access is governed as a utility, the media giants are always going to get their way. Period.

Back