• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SNU and Kappa Sig Suspended

Deacon923

Scooter Banks
Reaction score
this may be total Haas, if so I apologize.

Dear Greek Alumni,

My name is Penny Rue, and I am the vice president for campus life at Wake Forest. I came to Wake Forest last summer, succeeding Ken Zick, and it is my privilege and responsibility to oversee and mentor Greek life on campus.

Depending on your chapter affiliations or how closely connected you remain to Wake Forest, you may be aware that the national leaders of both Kappa Sigma and Sigma Nu recently suspended the charters of their Wake Forest chapters for violations against their national fraternities' policies. Wake Forest's own investigations of both fraternities concluded that violations of University policies also had occurred, for which we have taken action. There is a possibility of recolonizing both chapters in the future, but no decisions have been made.

A healthy Greek system is vital to our campus culture, and the impact of societies, sororities and fraternities is tremendous. The Greek community at Wake Forest has succeeded in the classroom, given generously to their alma mater, and held a number of volunteer leadership positions at the University. That being said, Wake Forest cannot and will not tolerate hazing or other conduct violations, and will take appropriate steps to address such activities when they come to the attention of the University.

Along these lines, I invite you to read an op-ed I recently wrote for The Old Gold & Black underscoring Wake Forest's commitment to fostering a strong Greek culture. Our sorority and fraternity chapters need positive reinforcement from their alumni now more than ever, and I hope you will join me in supporting the kind of Greek system we want to succeed.

Sincerely,
Penny Rue
Vice President for Campus Life

OGB column: http://oldgoldandblack.com/?p=37787

Somewhere on campus Nathan Hatch speaks into the phone with a big smile "Nice work Penny. Two down, thirteen more to go. Between this and the work Jeff is doing with basketball, we are well on our way to removing all academic distractions."

Have Bz advise them when they return. He'll recruit some choir boys and everything will be alright.

How does Sigma Nu get suspended? They don't even haze their pledges.

How does Sigma Nu get suspended? They don't even haze their pledges.

That was true in the late 90's. Still true? What is the greek scene like at Wake now? I was gone years before SAE was even colonized, so I have no idea how things have rebalanced. Frats tend to bounce up and down a bit...sororities are more stable because they rarely get suspended or the "death penalty", although didn't that happen to Pi Phi?

Kappa Sig had been warned a lot over the past few years. No idea if SNU had been too but they're pretty well known for being a party frat (at least they were a couple years ago when I was there). I would be pretty shocked if they don't haze their pledges - pledges are definitely expected to drink a lot and do ridiculous shit as of 2009 when a few kids on my hall were pledging there.

When I was at Wake in the early 70's, several of my friends pledged Kappa Sig. They had to do some pretty disgusting shit to get into that frat.

I detect that at least one poster believes that Hatch would rather see no frats. Is he in fact anti-Greek?

Kappa Sig had been warned a lot over the past few years. No idea if SNU had been too but they're pretty well known for being a party frat (at least they were a couple years ago when I was there). I would be pretty shocked if they don't haze their pledges - pledges are definitely expected to drink a lot and do ridiculous shit as of 2009 when a few kids on my hall were pledging there.

Sigma Nu a party frat? My gosh, back in the day they were called the Snoozers. They were good guys but basically didn't drink or throw large parties in the house/lounge...lots of religion....were fairly heavily academic though not as much as Chi Psi was....they tended to attract the really religious Kappas and Tri Delts who were looking for a safe MRS degree. Things changed!

Don't want to get suspended? Don't keep your pledges in dog cages.

College kids are stupid. Some stupider than others.

She can't be trusted; why is a woman in charge of Greek life anyway? smh

Nah, this chick looks super fratty.

09-07PennyRue.jpg

Back